Author Topic: Scully/Mizon/Johnson/Busby  (Read 5288 times)

Offline sezuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scully/Mizon/Johnson/Busby
« on: Thursday 18 August 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
I believe I had family that moved from Cork to London but I am having trouble locating any information with direct connections to Cork or Ireland.

James Scully (a tailor)b.?1820 Skibbereen Cork, married a Ellen Riordan b.?1828 Boherbue, Cork. They had a daughter Catherine in 1861 who married a Luke Mizon in 1890.

I then have a James Johnson we believe married a Rosina Busby and had a son Albert Johnson in 1896. They lived in Birmingham for a time before moving to Tottenham London.

Any ideas on getting records from Ireland or immigration info welcome. I have not researched Irish connections before.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scully/Mizon/Johnson/Busby
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
Ireland was part of the U.K. so there are no records of people moving from Ireland to England, wales and Scotland.

To find Irish ancestors for such an early period you need to see if church records exist.
Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
James Scully (a tailor)b.?1820 Skibbereen Cork, married a Ellen Riordan b.?1828 Boherbue, Cork. They had a daughter Catherine in 1861.....

do you know when/where James and Ellen married, or where Catherine was born ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sezuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
I know Catherine Scully was born 19/3/1862 Middlesex, London, parents James Scully and Ellen Riordan. Catherine married Luke Mizon in Bethnal Green 1890.

From records I think Ellen Riordan was born 1828 Cork (possibly Boherbue)

James Scully believed to be from Cork, a tailor no confirmed date of birth, have a record for 1820, unsure if it's him.

I assume Ellen and James were married in Ireland, not found a record for them in England.

There was some confusion over the surnames. It had been said by several people in the family that the surname (of Catherine) was O'Shaugnessay, not Scully, but records have proved otherwise, unless a name was changed.

The other side of the family- Johnson and Busby I can only say that a James Johnson and a Rosina Busby had a son Albert James Johnson in Birmingham on 3/8/1896. We know no further details going back, although again a different surname for the mother was known- Kennedy.

Any advice appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
There are RC parish records for part of south west County Cork on www.irishgenealogy.ie  The website also includes details for the RC parish of Boherbue, under Co. Kerry.

I had a quick search for the marriage of James and Ellen but didn't see any potential matches

Assuming that your Scully and Riordan families were RC then a marriage before 1864 would not have been included in civil records, so you would need to know which parish it was in to check details.

Did James and Ellen have any other children ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sezuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Yes I have looked there and found some possible records but a record would hopefully clarify which record is the right one.

Unfortunately I do not know any more about the family. I do not know of any other children in the family as yet.

Offline sezuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 August 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
I meant to say a marriage record would help!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 August 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
I know Catherine Scully was born 19/3/1862 Middlesex, London, parents James Scully and Ellen Riordan.
From records I think Ellen Riordan was born 1828 Cork (possibly Boherbue)
James Scully believed to be from Cork, a tailor no confirmed date of birth, have a record for 1820, unsure if it's him.

Have you located James, Ellen and Catherine on the English census returns ?

If there are any siblings of Catherine listed it might be possible to work out if the parent were married in Ireland or England...

The problem with searching the parish records for Cork is that it is the largest county in Ireland, and not all parishes are online

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline sezuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 September 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
I have struggled to find any records before 1881.

The 1881 census shows Catherine, aged 19 living with her mother, Ellen, who is listed as a widow, aged 53, born Cork.
Both are listed as tailoress.
The head of the house is a Mary Buckley, also widow born co.Kerry, a Mary Kenealey sister, born co Limerick and a young child Catherine Cousins (grand-daughter) live there also.

The family are living in Bishopsgate London, by 1890 Catherine marries and is listed on her marriage certificate living in Bethnal Green, she married in a C of E Church, St James, Bethnal Green.

I will do another search, but several previous attempts have proven fruitless.