Author Topic: Liverpool Regiment 1885  (Read 803 times)

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Liverpool Regiment 1885
« on: Saturday 20 August 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
Where can I go to find more info....???

Having found lots of details for the military service of Charles Wright, who enlisted in Warrington on 24th August 1885 - Liverpool Regiment (No. 1295). Where  might records be held as I'm confused as to whether the King's Own is the regiment I should be looking at.

Although papers not very clear Charles seems to have received several medals...

Burma 1885 & '87
 ? & Clasp 1885 & 87
Medal Belfast Cape Colony
S Africa 1901 1902

His service record shows...

Home 22nd Aug 1885 - 15th Feb 1886
India 15th Feb 1886 - 1st October 1886
Burma 2nd October 1886 - 3rd April 1887
India 4th April 1887 - 3rd November 1892
Home 22nd August 1897 - 5th June 1900
Africa 6th June 1900 - ? 6th August 1902

Lots of details, which maybe I should be satisfied with!!!!!!!

Any help to make things clearer would be appreciated.

Knellie

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Regiment 1885
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
You have the records you need. You should be able to tell from the man's place of birth, age on enlistment, occupation and maybe next of kin, and wife and children if you have the right man.

The locations you have tally with him being in the 2nd Battalion of the Liverpools - up to 1892 at least. This will be confirmed on Page 3. On the same page you may find that he spent some time in the Army Reserve. If so he then re-enlisted in the AR in 1897; was called up for the Boer War and went out in June 1900 as reinforcement. Belfast was a set piece battle in the Transvaal. Two of the Liverpools earning the VC during the build up.

The King's Own were the Royal Lancaster Regiment (ex 4th Foot) and were based in Lancaster. The Liverpools/Kings were previously the 8th Foot. If he served in both it will say so at the top of Page 1 and again on Page 3. His number would have changed.

Ken

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 August 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ken.

That clarifies things - his father is given as next of kin.

I feel confident that this fits together with family info. that he was a Reservist and served in the Boer War.

His Will refers to his medals, there is a possibility I will be able to get a comparison for the signature too.

Sadly now lost, there was a 'portrait' of him in uniform which would have been ideal to confirm details.

He also treasured an usual souvenir - a large centipede kept in a glass jar!!!!

Family story goes that he was based at one point at Hillsborough Barracks in Sheffield but not sure how that might fit in.

Regards
Knellie

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 August 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Family story goes that he was based at one point at Hillsborough Barracks in Sheffield but not sure how that might fit in.

One more for family tradition - from the Historical Records: "On 9th September (1893) C Company under Captain Tripp and 2nd Lt Sheppard went to Leeds in aid of the Civil Power and were afterwards sent to Sheffield, from whence they returned on 21st September (to the rest of 2nd Battalion in Manchester)". A rare occasion when you can discover the company a soldier served in. Each company had an average strength of about 50 then. You may find something in the newspapers of these places.

On 21st May 1894 the Battalion lined the streets and furnished Guards of Honour when Queen Victoria opened the Manchester Ship Canal.

Ken

Offline Knellie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Wow!

So the family grapevine seems to make sense. Some of the children were born and registered as though the couple were wed although records show that this happened after he was discharged but still a 'Reservist' prior to his going to South Africa, and he is absent from the 1901 Census. However sensitive family details were not discussed. This certainly gets more interesting!!

Many thanks again Ken.

Knellie