Author Topic: Confusion over place names on records  (Read 4686 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confusion over place names on records
« on: Sunday 21 August 11 04:46 BST (UK) »
I am just starting my Scottish history, not getting very far I might add!  It's all so foreign to me. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my confusion.
William Leslie  &  Margaret McLean were married in Foveran in 1801 (IGI)  From what I have been able to find Margaret was born in Charlestown, Aberdeenshire,  their children according to the opr records were baptised in Charlestown of Gairloch, Ross & Cromarty, namely Margaret, Anna & Jean.
Is Foveran in Aberdeen, and is there a Charlestown in Aberdeen,  & Ross & Cromarty?  I can't find the original record for William & Margaret's marriage,   Can someone steer me in the right direction,how do I go about finding the actual record.

I also have a marriage for George Leslie & Ann McDonald 1843 in Charlestown (IGI) but can't find this record either

Judy.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion over place names on records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 11 08:23 BST (UK) »
You have to be sure that an entry on the IGI is actually taken from a record and not just one submitted by a person who may or may not have the facts. Large numbers of folk get it wrong or even make it up! You always have to check everything for yourself.

I am assuming you have worked back and found William and Margaret on the 1841 or 1851 census. What does it say there about their birthplaces? Foveran is a parish on the east coast of Aberdeenshire to the north of Aberdeen. Charlestown is not the name of a parish, though there are a number of villages of that name in various parts of Scotland. As far as I know, there is not a Charlestown in Foveran.

Graham.

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham

I have looked again at my IGI records and you are right they have been submitted,  I didn't realise these could be wrong so thanks for that info.
I have worked back from George Leslie & Ann McDonald - my great grandparents,  I have their Australian death certificates and they confirm George's parents as William Leslie "Cooper" and Margaret McLean. However the only record I have been able to find is William on the 1841 census, in Charlestown, Gairloch, Ross & Cromarty, age 64 "Cooper,  son George here also. So the Charleston is obviously here!
William's wife Margaret not here, (she may have died)  Can't find him on 1851 census.Their marriage is not on the Scotlands People website. Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your interest.

Judy

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census has a column to say whether or not a person was born in the county he is living in - usually they just write yes/no or y/n. Does it say that William was born in Ross-shire (i.e. Yes)? Not all the parish registers survive, so that may account for not finding entries. Also, not everyone who was baptised or married had it recorded. The Foveran link may well be a red herring.

The on-line catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland will tell you whether there are registers for the parish covering the period. It is always worth looking at their catalogue using the names of people or of places, just in case something appears.

Graham.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 11 17:19 BST (UK) »
hi all  :)

the 1841 census states that william was born outside census county(freeCEN)
lexy mcdonald 29 is probably william's daughter
johanna mcdonald baptised 6th jan. 1841 gairloch ross & cromarty
parents dond. mcdonald and lexy leslie(IGI)

ev

added - alexandrina lessly baptised 20th may 1812 gairloch ross and cromarty
parents william lessly and margt. mclean
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 August 11 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham
Yes I'm thinking Foveran has thrown me off track.
I will check to find out if the registers survived. Williams 5 children were baptized from 1802-1812, I have copies of these all for Charlestown,  Gairloch, Ross & Cromarty, if William & Margarets marriage was about 1901 I feel it would have been recorded. Thank you so much I will look at the National archives
Judy

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 August 11 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi ev
Thanks for your in put I did notice William was born outside the County so I guess I'm at a dead end not knowing anymore about him
Cheers Judy

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 August 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All

My 2penneth worth found on 1851 census from freecen

1851 Census
2 Records found

Surname   First name(s)   Rel   Status   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Census Place   
    LESLIE   William   Lodger   U   M   36   Cooper    Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen   Drainie           
    LESLIE   William   Son   U   M   30   Cooper    Aberdeenshire - Peterhead   Peterhead-Burgh

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi BruceL

Not my direct line of Leslies, maybe some rellies perhaps,  William only had one son George and he came to Australia in 1848,  so until I find more on William I can't be sure,  thank you for your input it all helps to put things together and I find Rootschat the best.
Judy