Author Topic: Trying to discover name of my fathers regiment WW11  (Read 5081 times)

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
Trying to discover name of my fathers regiment WW11
« on: Monday 22 August 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to get my late fathers Army records  (WW11) for the past 12 yrs and haven't had much luck. The Army Records Office haven't been able to trace him because I've no idea of his regiment or his service number.

All I do know is that he was stationed in Italy and many years ago an old friend of his said that Dad lied about his age so that he could enlist. Dad was born 1925 probably in Ireland. He left Ireland 1938 before finishing school and it's thought he came to England with a family named McElhinney who probably fostered him.

I have no more details until he married my mother in 1948, he was then residing in Manchester. I do remember a sheet of passport size photo's of Dad as a young man in Army uniform and I also think that one of his Army badges had Manchester on it I do know that on one side of the badge there was a lion holding a shield the other side may have been a kind of unicorn.

I am enclosing the only photo that I have of Dad in uniform. Extremely greatful for any help/advice.
Regards Jackie.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to discover name of my fathers regiment WW11
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 11 01:08 BST (UK) »
Jackie, I can't help I'm afraid, but assuming your father is no longer alive, I think we'll need to know his name, as well as any aliases.  ;)

I really hope the expert rootschatters will be able to track him down for you.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 August 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Maidmarion and Ruskie for replies.

The pic of the badge Maidmarion mailed me certainly does seem familiar but then it was approx 50 yrs ago I last saw it so memory might be playing tricks.

My father was Alan/Allen Francis Brennan born Feb 1925 probably in Ireland.

I have never been able to track a birth cert for my father to enable more family research. I am informed that he must have had either a birth cert or a baptism cert to enlist in the Army, marry and get a UK National Insurance number.

I'm hoping that if I can discover which regiment he was in during WW11 and then obtain his War records might give more details.

In 1947 he was living in Shakespeare St. Manchester with the McElhinney family he appears to have left Ireland with. Dad finished the Raphoe National School Ireland early in 1938 and all the McElhinney family had left Raphoe in 1939.

There wasn't any elections during the War so I haven't been able to discover if the McElhinney family left Ireland, arrived and settled in Shakespeare St. Manchester immediately. They and my father all show up on the first electoral role after the War.

Regards Jackie.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
This is a little off topic but I just had a couple of thoughts .... no doubt you've already explored all these avenues ...

Do you have your parent's marriage certificate? This should give his father's name and occupation (unless for some reason he did not give it). His army records may give a relative as NOK, but I'm not sure if NOK had to be a close family member (someone else will know I'm sure  ;)).

You mentioned School records - have you tried chasing up enrolments etc?

Does your father have any other family members who may be able to give you more information about him? Are there any surviving McElhinney family or even their children who may be able to give you some clues about yur father and his family?