Author Topic: U.S. Naturalisation Records  (Read 4418 times)

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
U.S. Naturalisation Records
« on: Wednesday 04 May 05 15:27 BST (UK) »
I have looked on the NARA Website and am just as confused as before (getting on a bit).
I am looking for Naturalisation details of an Ada Elizabeth Reddekopp nee Roberts. The 1930 Census for Idaho records that she was naturalised in 1908. I think I probably need a Researcher to go any further. Has anybody used a reliable one, if so would appreciate details and costs. Thanks
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: NATURALISATION RECORDS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

this may be of no help but you might find this site helpful - it is the Ellis Island site for arrival of immigrants to the US through Ellis Island

http://www.ellisisland.org/

this might be of interest to you

Ada E Reddekopp
born about 1883
Benewah, Idaho
1930 United States Federal Census

David E Reddekopp
born about 1886 Benewah, Idaho
1930 United States Federal Census

I don't have access to the census data beyond that though I did find the following

http://vitals.rootsweb.com/ca/death/search.cgi
REDDEKOPP, DAVID  EMELD 
born -  10/21/1888
mother's maiden name DYCK
fathers last name REDDEKOPP
born in CANADA 
died at ALAMEDA(01)   
date of death 04/04/1950 
age at death  61 yrs 

this should be his wife
REDDEKOPP  ADA  E 
born 08/04/1880 
mother's maiden name PRESCOTT 
died at  ALAMEDA(60) 
date of death 03/11/1969 
SSN number 550-72-1648 
age at death 88 yrs 

Ada's SSN application lists her birth differently and this is the form that she would have filled out so it may be more accurate

ADA REDDEKOPP 
born 04 Aug 1887
died Mar 1969 94507 (Alamo, Contra Costa, CA)
550-72-1648 California
who ever filled out her death registration may have given the wrong date.

This SSN application is available (have to confess I have no idea how though)

Here is David in Canada

64 Reddekopp Abraham M   Head M Sep 13 1855 45
33   64 Reddekopp Katharina F   Wife M Oct 19 1855 45
34   64 Reddekopp Abraham M   Son S Oct 19 1883 17
35   64 Reddekopp David M   Son S Sep 21 1888 12
36   64 Reddekopp Katharina F   Daughter S Jul 18 1891 9
37   64 Reddekopp Jacob M   Son S Sep 23 1893 7
38   64 Reddekopp Wilhelm M   Son S Feb 19 1897 4
39   64 Reddekopp Isaac M   Son S May 20 1898 2

He and his family immigrated from Russia in 1892

Go to this site, select the 1901 Canadian Census, then select surnames starting with R and then find Reddekopp. At the bottom of the page is a link to a page where you can register your interest in this family so if anyone is researching this family you can connect with them.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Good luck

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 05 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi!  If Benewah County, Idaho seems to be the place where your family was (per Thelma's research),  have you tried "Googling" or searching on what ever is your internet search engine  -- I tried "Benewah County Idaho Genealogy" and several sites came up.

You should also go to Rootsweb,com for their Benewah Co., Idaho site or whatever location you determine is likely.  Also Rootsweb "Resources" is where they list local researchers to assist you.  Some people do it for free but they may be limited to what they can access or when they can get around to it.   

Try checking with the Benwah County Library, Genealogy Department  --  they can usually be contacted by email to see what resources they have and if they have volunteers to help you.

1930 is the last published census for the US.  To get info beyond that will take formal requests and $$$ to the Vitals/Public records Department of the County/State to get copies of original documents.  If you have firm info, this will be simple.  If you are still "fishing" it could get expensive and be disappointing.

Also try to see the District/County Court has on-line access for any records.   Some times you can see marriages,divorces, civil lawsuits, etc. on line --  but this service varies widely from county to county.

If you need the URL's for any of the Idaho sites, let me know & I'll help you.   I found NARA unproductive --  spent several hours yesterday --  Some interesting stuff to look around at but  found nothing of use in a personal ancestry search.  US doesn't have a centralized vital records system (for public use, anyway) so at some point you have to go to the local gov't. to progress.  It also takes alot of creativity!!!

Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 05 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Thelma and Kathy, will set about the ideas you both suggested.
Afraid I omitted the fact that Ada E Roberts initially migrated to Canada from England, between 1901-1908.
Still trying to find out Ship/Destination/Date
 Her and David E Reddekopp were married in Canada between 1901-1908. Ada became Naturalised when entering USA in 1908 Not known where, but a decyphered letter written by her late daughter, looked like Swift Current, Saskatchewan. No records held there.

Ada was actually born in 1877, Reading, Berkshire. Apparently she upped her age when she got married. Maiden name was Prescott.

There is confusion about her husband. According to 1920/1930 Census. (Treffry, Benewah, Idaho) David E Reddekopp was born in Oregon 1885.

David Emelda  REDDEKOPP was born in Canada. But he seem to fit in with the death dates.

I thought if I could get a copy of  Ada's Naturalisation Certificate it could make a few things clear.

Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 05 14:24 BST (UK) »
If Ada had proof of her Canadian Marriage to an American born citizen, she may have become naturalized based on marriage alone and there may not be much paperwork to find.  Don't know laws specifically at that time --  things were rapidly changing then due to huge influx but the Canadian-US border was pretty open paticularily in he western areas.

Are these the facts?
Ada Elizabeth  nee  Prescott or Roberts??
b. 1877 ?? Reading Berkshire  (upped her age from what?)
Immi. to Canada 1901-1908
m. David E. Reddekopp in Canada
David b. 1885 in Treffry, Benwah, Idaho ??
Couple immi. to US in 1908 entered @ Swift Current, Sas
Possibly settled in Benwah Co., Idaho

Is the confusion you mention is where David was born - US or Canada?

Finding immigrants to US via Canada is difficult.  If they stated the final destination was US, Canadian officials took minimal documentation and until after 1915, US did not require many details at the Canadian border.

What exact information are you seeking and were hoping to find in the Naturalization papers or from other records? 
You found them in 1920/1930 in Idaho, correct?

Will try to assist further, if you think there is anything more I can help with based on my earlier comments.

Good luck!
Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for being patient Kathy.
Facts
Ada Elizabeth  nee Roberts. Mother's maiden name Prescott.
B. 1877 Reading, Berkshire.CORRECT.
(1920 census says b1886. 1930 says b1882).
Migrated to Canada 1901-1908.
Married David E Reddekopp in Canada, possibly Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
Entered USA in 1908.
David E, according to 1920/30 Census was born in Oregon 1885.
1920/1930 Family living in Treffry, Benewah, Idaho.

Confusion arises that there were two David E Reddekopp, one born in Canada, the other Oregon. Oregon is correct.

Was hoping that naturalisation records would show date and place of Marriage.

Have been in contact with her GGsons in California, but they have no records unfortunately.

Plod on regardless, will get there in the end. Thanks for your advice and assistance.
Bob.

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 May 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
Bob,

1910 US Census has a column showing  "No. of Years of Present Marriage"

1930 asks "Age at 1st Marriage"

For some odd reason, 1920 was a "don't ask, don't tell" year, I guess.

Have you seen this?  May be able to deduce where married from that. 

If you think they were in Benewah Co. at that time , you'll have to go to the county either by website (if lucky) or in writing with payment, probably.

Don't know about Canada's process.

Regards,
Kathy

KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 May 05 16:05 BST (UK) »
Bob,  checked census records

1910  --  couldn't find David

1920 Both David & Ada saying the are 34   i.e. b. 1886

1930 David (44) i.e. b. 1886  Age at 1st Marr:  21  i.e. m. 1907
         Ada (47)  i.e. b. 1883   Age at 1st Marr: 24    i.e.  m. 1907

So if Ada really born in 1877 and married at 24  >>> 1901
If married in 1907 and b. 1877, she was 30 when married.

I see your problem.   

It is quite possible that the "7" is "47" was meant to be a "4"
which would keep things consistent  --  but if Ada was not telling her correct ages all along then still no certainty.

If 1907, guess you'll need to go to the Canadians for the record.

You're going to need lots of luck and digging to this one straight!

Bye, Kathy

KING Buckinghamshire  US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 05 16:17 BST (UK) »
Cheers Kathy,
One thing I am sure is being born in 1877, got  Certificate from PRO.
Bye.