Author Topic: William Frederick Hannaford - Home Child - Living Relatives COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Last year I discovered that a very, very distant connection, but one that I had become particularly interested in because he vanished from UK records after 1901, was a Home Child sent to Canada in 1907.

His name was William Frederick Hannaford born Plymouth in 1899 and I have full details of all of the rest of his family in England.

With the help of Trillium62 on Rootschat I got the details of his marriage to Lillian Maud Draper in 1924 and also found stillbirths of  3 children and the death of one infant.

Nothing more came up on searches and I assumed that there was no further issue so end of line and end of story.

Recently I found from a family tree on Ancestry that there were probably 4 more children born to the marriage of William and Lillian, some of which might still be living and almost definitely living grandchildren and great grandchildren.  I have been in touch with the owner of the tree, who is related by marriage,  but unfortunately she does not have details, just what her mother remembered.  No names of the children of WFH but some names of the grandchildren but nothing to lead me to birth dates or places in Canada.

I have searched every Canadian site I can find for descendants of William Frederick and Lillian Maud Hannaford and believe that there are no sites for searching online for births/marriages after the mid 1920’s and none for deaths after mid 1930’s.  Is that correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions other than posting on every site available?  I have added a comment to the family tree on Ancestry asking any living relative to contact  me and am going to submit an entry to the Waterloo Region Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society as Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario was where the family settled.

Suggestions very welcome but if anyone can confirm that I have covered all possibilities I would be grateful as although I am a distant connection there are very close relatives in the UK that would love to make contact.

Thanks.

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Frederick Hannaford - Home Child - Living Relatives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Births are generally protected for 100 years, actually, and deaths generally to the late 1930's in Ontario.

Have you tried Canada411 (white pages) ... see link? There are 2 Hannafords listed in Kitchener and 1 in Cambridge. Both of these cities are right at Waterloo (it is a tri-city area) and addresses and phone numbers are included. One or more of these people may be a descendent, you never know.

http://www.canada411.ca/

Also, have you tried contacting the cemetery mentioned in the tree? With a death date you may be able to find an obit.

And, have you considered putting an advert in the local newspaper? I don't know the name(s) of the local newspaper(s) but a google search would probably turn up something.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 11 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you PB,

I have started a list of Hannafords, including those on Canada 411, in the area and thinking of contacting them via snail mail.

Have not thought about newpaper or cemetery contacts so that is two more paths to look into.

This is a quite important family link to the people who are closer relatives than I am but it is easier for me to follow this up.

Thank you for your helpful response

Selina

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome. Hope your search will ultimately be successful.

Did you notice that William's marriage record was also saved to a private tree and another public tree? The public tree only has Maud in it but you might want to try contacting both in case they have any info to help you?

If I can think of anything more you can try I will let you know.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 August 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
Selina, you may have tried this already but there are two people on GR with an interest in a William Hannaford b.1899 in Plymouth. It may not be the one that you are interested in yourself but it is worth a try just to see if there is a connection.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi PB and OR

Thank you both for the replies, much appreciated.

PB - No I hadn't noticed them!  Obviously I didn't scroll down far enough, just relied on Ancestry to put them at the top - big mistake.  Thank you so much, I will get in touch and see if they have any information.

OR - Re GR.  Peter and Diane are connected to me and I am in touch with them so we have the same information, however checking that out I see there is another person who has WFH on his tree with birth year 1901 and it is worth making contact.  I no longer subscribe to GR but will ask Peter to get in touch with him.

Again thank you, I now have some more paths to follow which is always encouraging.

Selina

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
The original query: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,436556.0.html
Selina, posting all over the place won't help, as you have several posts here, and this is a very popular site, and anyone searching will easily find it here...
Polarbear's suggestion to write to the local Kitchener Hannafords is your best bet right now for starters..
http://www.canpages.ca/people-directory/ON/kitchener/3323-hannaford-list.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
J.J.

I am already following up on the suggestions made.

Thank you for your comments.

Selina

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com