Author Topic: My Brickwall - Daniel JOHNSON/Ellen DALY or DALEY  (Read 11240 times)

Offline familyfromthepast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Brickwall - Daniel JOHNSON/Ellen DALY or DALEY
« Reply #45 on: Monday 12 September 11 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia, please refer back to page one of this post for that daniel johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

An update.......I have been in contact with the current anglican minister at Blayney concerning a second parish registry for Carcoar, no luck I'm afraid, they only have one parish registry for Carcoar from 1851. It would seem my next move would to be to check the parish registries from Orange for Elizabeth's birth, hoping that it was somehow missed being transcribed to NSWBDM.
There is a ray of hope, I have been in contact with a relative of Patrick and Annie Flynn (the friends who gave consent for Daniel and Ellen's marriage). We are hoping to find the connection, could Ellen have been an underage friend/relative from Ireland? The Flynn's migrated from County Cork Ireland, in 1843. Both were catholic. Patrick, b.1816 parents were William Flynn and Mary Doyle, Ann nee Russell, b. 1815 parents were Martin Russell and Mary Moore.

Next question, does anyone know if the parish registeries from the C of E, and the Catholic churhes of Orange are available to research/view through the NSW libraries or any family history groups?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
So Carcoar either did not have a family history register ... or it is no longer extant ... and they don't have the second register ... Wow, it was (and still is) a requirement within the C of E ummmm.... each one is meant to be kept in a secure, fireproof place, in separate buildings to each other.  (ie one in the church and one in the manse) .... 

If you phone/email the NSW SL (See the link) and/or use the "Ask a Librarian" option they should be able to tell you if the family history section at the SL has film for any of the churches in those districts.... 

http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/ "Ask a Librarian" option displayed

http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/using/contact/index.html   Contact details displayed

Here's another link to various family history groups.... http://www.nswactfhs.org/members/index.html

I will pull my thinking cap down a tad harder and put it into gear soon !

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 17 September 11 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there...

Some "meat for the bones" of your researchings ...

Carcoar circa 1858, the local Police Magistrate had been superseded (his name was Edward J C North, re a trial before the Carcoar Bench in the case of several stolen turkeys found in the possession of a Henry Snowden, perhaps Carcoar’s Bailiff, acting CPS, pound keeper)

The local clergymen, Magistrates, Graziers, Landholders, Farmers and many others who resided in or were connected with Carcoar took up a petition and sent it to “His Excellency, Sir William Thomas Denison, Knight, Governor General in and over all Her Majesty’s Colonies of NSW, Tas, Vic, SA, WA and Captain General and Governor in Chief of the Territory of NSW and its Dependences, and Vice-Admiral of the same, &c ....”

They wanted Edward J C North Esq restored to the Commission of the Peace, they had implicit confidence in his impartiality as a Magistrate.....

Among the pages and pages of names on that petition are these: : 
Thomas DALEY, Daniel FLYNN, Patrick FLYNN, William DALY,  Nicholas DALY, James DALY, Simon DALY, 

The petition should be detailed in the Votes and Proceedings New South Wales Legislative Assembly

Well, at least there’s the two variations of Ellen’s nee name, and there’s a possible witness to her marriage ... I didn’t spot any JOHNSON or variations on the petition.

One of the cuttings re THE WESTERN TURKEY QUESTION ... “The Turkey question of Carcoar, like that of Eastern Europe, promises to obtain a world wide celebrity ....”
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/64376567   19 June 1858 Bathurst Free Press   (Enjoy the read)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/64376566 same paper, same date, sub heading : The Turkey Case Again

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 17 September 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM

You are a gem. I'm willing to bet that is the Patrick Flynn on the mc. I will send this info to his relative, Michael Flynn, he might know more. I get the feeling there is a family relationship somehow, somewhere..... Off to read the links now :-)

Cheers
Deb