Author Topic: Rachel McAuslan in US 1930  (Read 787 times)

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rachel McAuslan in US 1930
« on: Friday 02 September 11 12:39 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace information on my Great Grand Aunt, Rachel McAuslan (born Rachel Mills in Glasgow in 1867).

Last record found was the 1930 Census:

1930 - Census - Address shown as 471 Bergen Street, Kings. Lived with children, James (26) William (40) & Letitia (33).  Shown as Widow. Age shown as 62.

James appear to have died in Connecticut in 1993 but I have no information on his family.

William came back to Glasgow in 1930.

Letitia also came back to Glasgow but went back to the US being naturalised in 1943 and she died in Brooklyn in 1962.

Any help in finding out what happened to Rachel would be appreciated - or hints on how to check it out.

Thanks

Anna :)
McGrory, Milne, Mulvenny (or Mulveny), McKinlay, Cairns, Allan, McLean, Cassney (or Kessney).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel McAuslan in US 1930
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
The 1930 address is in New York City. Have you tried searching for Rachel's death in Italian Genealogy death indexes (goes up to 1948)?

http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDeath.stm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 11 13:05 BST (UK) »
On www.fultonhistory.com, there is a newspaper article in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle from 4 Jan. 1932 about James McAuslan, son of Mrs. Rachel McAuslan, getting married.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
Also on the fultonhistory site, there is a death notice from 5 Feb. 1946 in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle for Margaret Rutherford, nee McAuslan, wife of William Rutherford.  She was survived by her mother, sister Letitia, and brothers James & William.

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thank you all very much for your help I'm a bit further forward in trying to trace the family.

James appears to have married Helen Coulter at Beverley Presbyterian Church, officiated by the pastor of the church, Rev Lynn P Armstrong.   The article says that James & Helen would make their home in Bay Ridge.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

I'll come back and let you know if I find anything else.

Once again - Thank you  :) :)
McGrory, Milne, Mulvenny (or Mulveny), McKinlay, Cairns, Allan, McLean, Cassney (or Kessney).