Author Topic: Help with cap badge  (Read 933 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help with cap badge
« on: Saturday 03 September 11 14:54 BST (UK) »
I had put this post on WW2 by mistake.

Hi all

I am trying to identify my dads Uncles regiment. His name was Sydney Rimmer and his service number is 3781444. He was captured in Singapore on the 15th September 1942. We believe he was in Changi before working on the Siam-Burma railway. His name is listed on the excellent COFEPOW site, but no regiment. A horse is clearly visible but cannot seem to match it with a particular regiment.
Many thanks

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Help with cap badge
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Jacqui, I would suggest that the cap badge is that of the Kings Liverpool Regiment. With its short bar (representing the ground) that the Hanoverian horse stands on his hind legs (with its tail joining onto the right hand part of the scroll below) and the fore leg joining onto the scroll on the left hand side it differs from other badges that has the horse of Hanover on it.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.

That makes a lot of sense. Even though he lived in Eccles near Manchester his father had served in the KLR during WW1. Sydney was lucky, he survived even though he had to live with terrible injuries.

Your help was appreciated,

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 11 18:20 BST (UK) »
My pleasure Jacqui, its always nice to help others more so when the person that you help is a fellow COFEPOW.

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop