Author Topic: help in finding John Masters Bradford in RN  (Read 886 times)

Offline louisefi

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
help in finding John Masters Bradford in RN
« on: Sunday 04 September 11 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am after some help or advice in tracing one of my ancestors in the Royal Navy as I just cant seem to find him anywhere.

His name is Johns Masters Bradford (born about 1823 in Brighton, Sussex).   He married Caroline Osborn in 1846.  In 1849 he is listed as working as a mariner.  He lived in Telscombe, Newhaven, Sussex. 

The census returns have really confused me as I have found two for 1861 (one is onboard a ship and states it was taken Sept 1861 -I wonderd if they took it later) or if in fact it is two different people.

In the 1861 census he is listed as working in the Royal Navy and I have found another 1861 census saying he was onboard the vessel the HMS Megaera as a Stoker. 

I have tried searching RN archives at national archives online but can not find anything. 

Can anyone give any advice where to look next to find him in the Royal Navy?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Louise

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help in finding John Masters Bradford in RN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise

The problem you have is that while Continuous Service was introduced in 1853, it did not become compulsory until 1873. So if your man did not sign up, and left the navy prior to 1873, then there will not be an online record for him.

I'm afraid that your only option is to visit the National Archives and look at the Ships Description Book for HMS Megaera (ADM 38/8537). This will provide a physical description of your man, information on place of birth, place of usual residency, marital status, and a list of all the ships he had served on to that point.

Martin

Offline LeGalopin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
John Masters Bradford was by Great Great Grandfather if you need any information on the family I am more than happy to help

fleur

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Fleur,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I am sorry but Louise's email address is no longer working so we have been unable to get your message to her :'( I have done a search with her details but nothing is coming up.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk