Author Topic: Clues from an old photo  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Dalcassian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Clues from an old photo
« on: Monday 05 September 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, Can anyone tell me what the markings are on the sleeves of the Royal Irish Fusiliers uniforms in the attached photo? That's my Grandfather sitting in the middle. There is a symbol on his left arm and he has no stripes. The other two have one stripe on their right arm and the guy on the right has a second one on his left arm. I also noticed the top two have what looks like a bird in flight on the caps. Their caps seem to be a little different to my Grandfather's.
What do these all mean?
Cheers
Joe
O'Brien, Condon, Burgess, Reeve,

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Clues from an old photo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 05:23 BST (UK) »
hi,,,was your grandad born c1863 in Cork ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 05:29 BST (UK) »
im no expert,,but the uniform is not the Royal Irish Fusiliers,,,it looks like the Royal Horse Artillery to me.
The stripes on the left arm (as we look} are rank stripes...the inverted stripe on the right arm of the man with 2 stripes is a good conduct stripe.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dalcassian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy, Well spotted. My mistake is that I had just been looking at my granddad's son's record in the RIF, Albert Condon, born 1892.
Yes, the uniform in the photo is the RHA.
My grandad was indeed born in Cork in 1862. I have Baptism Certificate.
Are we related in some way?
Send Private Message.
Cheers
Joe

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe

The two at the back are Bombardiers or Acting Bombardiers. The 'bird' on the cap is the single stripe of their rank, as also displayed on their right arms.

I think the 'badge' on the one seated may be the folds of his tunic. A magnifying glass might confirm what it is if you have the original.

Ken

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
When enlarged the "badge" of the one seated resembles that of one given to a "1st Prize Driver". This proficiency  badge had crossed whips at the base with a spur at the centre above which would be a crown.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Dalcassian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 September 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, Does the "1st Prize Driver" badge indicate that he won a first prize in a competition or was given a 1st Class Driver Award for his proficiency?
Have you got an image of the badge?
Cheers
Joe