Author Topic: 81 Army Act  (Read 680 times)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
81 Army Act
« on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just found the army records of my distant ancestor John Wootten on FindMyPast. (Devonshires 3471). He joined up on 4th March 1892 and was discharged on 6 May 1892. Under the entry for the discharge it says 'Dec '81 Army Act.' I googled this and found it is a massive piece of legislation that seems to establish all kinds of rules under which the army can operate. It seems, then, that JW may have been guilty of anything! Do any of you have any idea what may have happened to this man and why he was discharged? The records don't tell me anything more.

Any ideas would be welcome - many thanks.

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: 81 Army Act
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
How old was he when he enlisted, and was discharged? Not being familiar with the act it does occur to me however that a minimum age for enlistment might have been introduced.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger

He said he was 18 years and 6 months when he attested in March 1892, which would make him born Sep 1873. He was discharged 2 months after joining up, in the May. However, the only birth I can find in the GRO indexes, in Stonehouse, Devon, is 1875. And some old family letters suggest Oct 1874. I can't find a baptism. So his age is a bit ambiguous.

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 September 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
I think I stumbled on the answer, if I were you I would check to see what the 1881 Act, though huge says about age on enlistment and the validity of underage applicants.  I think by what you say he was probably around 15 or 16 when he enlisted.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)