Author Topic: Ideas please!  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ideas please!
« on: Thursday 05 May 05 15:33 BST (UK) »
I found my gt gran in 1871 living in Campsie village of Whitefield. her name was Margaret  Toolan age 14 printwork worker. In 1881 the family with Thomas Toolan at its head, had moved to Lancashire, but Margaret and her sister Janet, age 12 in 1871, had disappeared.Margaret reappeared in 1889 when she married my gt grandfather. She worked in the household of general Sir Redvers Buller in Bruton St London. I have tried every angle I can think of to find out where she went in the intervening years. Poor Janet is still missing! Did Scottish girls regularly go into service south of the border? Did the general have any connections with Scotland? Was she living with someone and using his name? Any ideas welcome!
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline snowwhite77

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas please!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 May 05 19:40 BST (UK) »
They often moved away from their families as soon as possible to start earning money, A few of mine who have disappeared have more often than not turned up working on a farm where they also lived.(3 times so far).

I assume you have already tried the death records.

Good luck with your search
Amanda
PATERSON- Fife,
CHALMERS- Stirlignshire
DRYSDALE - Kinross, Clackmannan
GORMAN, MOORE -Birkenhead
BELL DIAMOND Dunbartonshire
PRENTICE, HAMILTON CUNNINGHAM - Lanarkshire
FYFE - Perthshire
FAGAN - Lanarkshire
CROSBIE, SCOTT, STEVENSON, MORRISON, CHRISTIAN,- Wigtown