Author Topic: Isaac Skinner 1796 Stroud  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Skinner 1796 Stroud
« on: Thursday 08 September 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can someone please look up a baptism that I have found when searching for the baptism of Isaac Skinner. It is from Family Search so I need verification of the surname.

Isaac KINNOR son of Thomas KINNOR  and Latitia BROWN 4 Jan 1796 Stroud.  I am pretty sure it would have been St Lawrence.

This has happened in one of the censuses where Skinner was taken as Kinner,  so fingers crossed and many thanks.

Elizabeth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Skinner 1796 Stroud
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On the older version of familysearch (IGI) the same record minus the full date, just year 1796, 'Kinnor' is 'Skinner', mother 'Letitia Brown', place Stroud.

However it is a submitted record, so should be checked.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 September 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Thanks for looking that up for me. 

I had got  both entries but as you say the Skinner one is submitted and although I am fairly sure it is the right one, I would rather be sure.

Elizabeth

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire.

My name is Gary in Australia & I am tracing my forebears including Mary Skinner who m. John Gibbins at Bisley 6/3/1708. It has been suggested that she was from Stroud. His parents were Samuel Gibbins & Jane Levett & Jane's father was Thomas. Any help would be fantastic.

Regards,

Gary.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 August 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hello
I've looked that up and there's no Isaac baptised at St Lawrence on that date.
However  there is a marriage for the couple at St Lawrence on the 4 Jan 1796
Thomas Kinnor of this parish s of John Kinnor and Latitia Brown othp d of Thomas Brown.
witnesses Nathanial Biddle his mark and Stephen Howell.
The vicar says Kinnor/Kinnon but he's signed as Thomas Skinner.

So if you can find that baptism then it is the right couple.
The rest of their children seem t be baptised at South Cerney
William 26.11.1798,George 29.2.1804,Judith 10.2.1805,Joseph 5.1.1808,Thomas 12.5.1811 all as Skinner.
I've been through the BT manually for South Cerney 1798- 1805 and no sign of Isaac.
There are also a Thomas and Mary Kinnon married 10.9.1781 St Lawrence s of Charles Kinnon and Barr(z) illai Biddle.They carry on having children there until 1803.
Thomas 28.1.1787 ,Mary 2.4.1790,Maria 17.2.1793,Anne Mary 10.6.1798,Priscilla 12.6.1803

There's a burial for Isaac Skinner 4.2.1876 age 85at Stroud St Lawrence but that's probably rounded up.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 August 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

Thanks for looking up all those details, it is much appreciated.  This is quite an old post and I have to admit I have moved on from this family, but I will revisit now and see how it all fits in. 

Shame about Isaac's baptism record but if it is there, it will be found sometime in the future.

Thanks again.
Elizabeth

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 August 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

I have gone to the tree, (I am doing it for my cousin on his father's side) and find that I have no parents on it for Isaac, so the initial enquiry was to follow up something I had found and was not sure about.  As it turns out, I was wise not to add Thomas Skinner and Letitia Brown to the tree  at the time.

I see that Thomas and Lettice (sic) are still baptising children to at least 1815 in Cerney.   I have no way of knowing if these are the same family that Isaac came from. 

Isaac  married Honour Hamlett at Painswick in 1832 and then seemed to spend the rest of his life in Stroud although the first 4 children when baptised were living at  'The Slad'.

I did not have Isaac's burial date so thank you for that although I did have his probate details which gave the date of death.  His age at burial was 85, FreeBMD death record shows 90 but according to my tree it was nearer 80 but maybe I have got it wrong which is why his baptism would help.

Thanks for your help.

Elizabeth

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 August 22 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi. Still looking for the following.

Cheers,

Gary.

Mary Skinner who m. John Gibbins at Bisley 6/3/1708. It has been suggested that she was from Stroud. His parents were Samuel Gibbins & Jane Levett & Jane's father was Thomas. Any help would be fantastic.

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 August 22 22:26 BST (UK) »
It's amazing the amount of burial and even marriages for a Mary Skinner but I can find nothing in the very few baptisms for Gloucestershire and certainly nothing in Stroud for the period I would imagine she was born of 1685 to 1690.  There are a couple in Winchcomb, one 25th Feb 1689 daughter of Howel Skinner and Anna his wife or the other one is 2nd Feb 1690 daughter of Richard and Sara.  Do you  have death dates for her and where did you get the information that she probably came from Stroud?
I'll have another look over the weekend.