Author Topic: Joseph Jesse Hunt 1857  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Jesse Hunt 1857
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 September 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
I relate to Joseph Jesse Hunt as 1st cousin, 3 times removed, his father Joseph Jesse Hunt b1829 was married to Sarah Ann Rosser who was my 2nd g grand aunt on my paternal side. As I cannot get much further back for certain on the Rosser side beyond about 1815, I was hoping that some of the related ones further along may be still alive and have knowledge of the early Rossers'.
CR
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 September 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
Could this be Emma's death, I know the age is out by exactly 10 years (a typo in the index) , but there doesn't seem to be another suitable entry for her

Sep 1890
Hunt    Emma Rebecca,  43,  Marylebone    1a   370

If so he may well have considered himself single rather than a widower and gone on a trip.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 September 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
Do you know what's happening with the 1905 marriage (seen on freebmd) in Edmonton? Is that a different Joseph?

There is a bricklayer Joseph Jesse Hunt (says he's 40) on Ellis Island, heading to Washington in 1909, wife at home "Mrs B", returns in 1911 with wife "Helen" b. Gibraltar - might fit with the Ellen Grimerson on the 1905 marriage (I think she is in Enfield in 1901 and there does seem to be info about this family around).  The age difference on some records might be due to Ellen/Helen being a fair bit younger than him.

http://media.digitalarchives.wa.gov/WA.Media/jpeg/0616693FB4045F976AA84C053EEADB7D_1.jpg
 - on the 1910 census, he's listed as "M2" = married twice - and arrived first in 1907... age now up to a more accurate 54.

Incidentally it looks to me like Emma is Emma Roberta, not Emma Rebecca - she died in June quarter 1905 in Epsom and he marries next quarter, in Edmonton, so not wasting any time there.

The questions then are if they were living together during the 1881-1905 years, and were in England - and if so, where on earth are they hiding?  Tracking Emma's parents/siblings forward through the censuses might help.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,
I believe the Edmonton marriage is for a different Joseph.
With the information that you gave for Emma Roberta's death, I found her Will, wherein she left her effects worth just over £105 to her husband Joseph Jesse Hunt; she died at Banstead Asylum but was previously living at Montefiore Street, Battersea.
Perhaps that explains why Joseph got married quickly.
I can't find a birth for Ellen Grimerson only on the 1891 census she was born 1872 in Gibraltar, her marriage cert says her father was Samuel Grimerson, a deceased soldier; she is 33 whilst Joseph is 47. The Helen on the 1901 census appears to be a different one as she was born in Woolwich.
On the US census what does Pa mean as regards emigration?
CR
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 September 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
It seems as if the trail has gone cold!
CR

Offline Grimason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jorose,
Re the Ellen GRIMERSON posting you will finder her in the 1901 Census of England.
Her Father was Samuel GRIMASON and she was born 23 April 1872 at Gibraltar.
Her mother was Maria, have not yet found out what her Maiden name was though or when Samuel and Maria Married or where.

The GRIMERSON spelling is a variant of the GRIMASON surname along with GRIMISON and GRIMESON all part and parcel of my One Name Study which is registered with the Guild Of One Name Studies.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grimason,
Thank you for the info regarding her birth.
Cr

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Think this is a possible marriage for Samuel

Samuel Grimson
Maria Clark Rowe
Mar qu 1861 Greenwich 1 D 654

his army records show he was 11yrs 8mths in Gibraltar and was discharged 17 Apr 1874 on ground of chronic rheumatism therefore I assume he was at Woolwich before he went to Gibralta hence the Greenwich marriage.He attested at Dromore,Co Down 30 Oct 1858 a gunner in Royal Artillery,this was his birth place about 1838 he was a weaver.
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Isobelruss that seems to have settled everything.
Cr