Author Topic: Sweden Place Name  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sweden Place Name
« on: Sunday 11 September 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
I've just received a marriage certificate, where the groom states he was born in Carls Knole, about 1840. Can anyone help me with the name of this place? 

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden Place Name
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 September 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
And you think this is in Australia??   ???   ???

What year are we talking about?
Where did the marriage take place?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 September 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
The marriage took place in Victoria, Australia. The groom starts he was born Carls Knole, Sweden. It's the place in Sweden I'm after. I've done a bit of a search, can't find the place as it is recorded, so feel that this may be phonetic.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 September 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
Well, can't find it via Google.
Tried also Karls Knole.
But the maps I looked only show places with 10,000 or more inhabitants.
It may be just a small village and may even not be in existence any more.

Do you think this query would be better on the Europe board?

EDIT:  And if you don't get any joy there, perhaps an enquiry at your local Swedish embassy might be an idea?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts ....

Did the groom sign or make his mark on the m.c. .....

On the m.c.  Did he give his parent's names and their origins ....

Have you looked to see if he sought to become a naturalised British Subject .... naturalisation papers show the place of birth, date of birth, name of ship and date arriving to the colonies...

There's also the RChat decipher board to put up a snip from the m.c.  for others to decipher that older style of handwriting, 

PS, edit to add .... please Dawn has asked this, and I too am asking  .... what year was this marriage, please ?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 September 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
The  groom signed the certificate, and gave his age and parents names, no joy with this so far. I haven't tried Natutalisation, and will try, thanks for the help.  The marriage was 1867. I'm unaware of the RC chat decipher, thanks for that avenue. I will try the europe board, and will also give the Embassy a go. Thanks to all for your suggestions. 

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 September 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
The only place I can think of that sounds anything like it is Karlskrona, in the south.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 September 11 02:46 BST (UK) »
Yes I picked up Karls Krona too.
I wonder has the spelling changed over the years?

Britt if you put something up on the Europe board (other than this post) then please link it to this so people don't go looking for something that you already know.

Let's know how you get on from the Embassy.  And if whoever you ask says they don't know the place, ask them to see if anyone else does - that is, don't let them fob you off   :D  :D  :D

Dawn M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 September 11 03:17 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts,

I speculate that in 1867 in Victoria, there was not a great deal of spelling knowledge of Swedish place names. 

It is entirely possible that the groom was far more concerned with marrying his bride than with what the clergy would be recording on his own records to then transfer across to the legal record AFTER conducting the ceremony.  If the groom was actually carefully reading what the clergy was recording, then the groom would most likely have also been reading that clergy's own handwriting "upside down" for surely the couple would have been seated at a table opposite the clergy for the interview/s that arranged for the wedding ceremony. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.