Author Topic: CAINS family of Ippollitts and Barnet  (Read 1414 times)

Offline BobHed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CAINS family of Ippollitts and Barnet
« on: Monday 12 September 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Looking for ancestry of George CAINS (c.1792 - 1857) who married Ann HARRIS in Edmonton in 1816. I believe George is the one baptised at Ippollitts in Nov 1792, son of Thomas Cains (born 1745 Hitchin) and Sarah SAUNDERS. Thomas could be son of John Cain and Elizabeth TUFNEL who married in Kimpton 1735. Much of this is guesswork based on the IGI and I'd be very interested in comparing notes with anyone else interested in this family.

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CAINS family of Ippollitts and Barnet
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
hi i have looked and found the george cains bap nov 1792 was married to a mary stratton

kerry
tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs

Offline BobHed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CAINS family of Ippollitts and Barnet
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
The George Cains I have in my tree states his birthplace as Ippollitts in census returns, and his birth date can be calculated from similar sources as 1792 +/- 1 year; he was an agricultural labourer. By 1816 he had moved to Edmonton MDX where he married Ann Harris on 15 December (this marriage is in Boyd's index and the West Middlesex marriage index), and over the next 15 years the couple had 7 children baptised in Southgate and East Barnet.
The Ippollitts parish registers show baptisms for two boys baptised George Cain(s) between 1719 and 1850. One is in November 1792, son of Thomas & Sarah (Thomas Cains & Sarah Saunders were married there on 11 April 1774); the other is on 22 April 1798, son of Edward Cain & Elizabeth (Edward Cain & Elizabeth Barker were married there on 26 Jun 1797).
With this information it seems most likely to me that "my" George Cains who married Ann Harris was the one baptised in 1792.
I've been unable to find the marriage to a Mary Stratton that you mention in any source I have access to - can you let me know the source for your information, and any further details you have?