Author Topic: Graham Family Tree  (Read 6873 times)

Offline banks

• My emails are not working sorry
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Graham Family Tree
« on: Thursday 05 May 05 22:48 BST (UK) »
Could someone with the 1871 census for Cleator Moor Cumb., please do a lookup for me.
 I am trying to find my Gr Gr Grandparents. John Graham  he would be around 50 years of age , his wife Jane . They came from the Longtown / Authuret area.
  (My Gr Grandad John) he would be around 20  (Iron Miner) . John's older sister Mary could still be living at home.

On the 1881 census I have found a family living on Trumpet  Road, which could be my relatives but Gr Grandad John was married then and he was the Innkeeper at Lowther Arms Whitehaven. So I am trying to make a connection.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hazel.
Lancashire Holgate, Cornwall, Hawke< Seymour< Pascoe
Scotland, Banks.  Graham. Downie. Stevenson. Sutherland.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Graham Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 05 12:22 BST (UK) »
1871 for Kirkandrews Middle
John Graham 49 b Arthuret
Jane 50                b  "
George 14 b Kirklinton
Jane A 11
David 9 both born Kirkandrew on esk

Does not sound very convincing!   Where and when was your John born?   I only checked the one spelling of Graham so it will be worth doing others.   I can check the 1861 for you too if you let me have a bit more information.
Andrea

Offline banks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 05 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrea,
 Just wondering if you received my e-mail about John Graham & his family.
I sent a bit more information for you but I am not sure if I sent it to you properly.

Hazel.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 05 17:28 BST (UK) »
Only read it today!    They are not easy to find as there are several Graham families from Longton and Arthuret and a lot in Egremont which is very near Cleator.   I see from my map that Rockcliffe is south west of Longtown - on the river and really nearer to Carlisle.
In 1871 in Rickergate Carlisle there are
Jane 52 widow b Crasty?
Willaim 30 b Crasty?
John 21 b Carlisle
Mary 14 b Stanwix
R W? son 17 b Carlisle
Ann 15 b Carlisle
It does seem odd that your Gt Grandad who was an iron miner aged 20 then became a licensed victualler by 1881.  Or am I muddling the generations?
I will keep looking....
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 05 18:04 BST (UK) »
The abaove family is in Rickersgate in 1861 too and jane is already a widow - born Crosby in Eden.  Took me some time to find John and hannah in 1881 as the address is Preston Quarter.
In 1891 they are at Albion Hotel Christian St Harrington
John 41 B Rockliffe
Hannah 36 b Frizington
Mary Jane 15 b Cleator
Hannah 8
John 2
Ruth 1 all born Harrington
also Ann Nichols servant age 16.  I could not read her birth place.   Relation of Hannah perhaps?
What was the occupation of the John who married in 1845?   Might help to pin them down.   There are so many of them it is not true!
Andrea

Offline banks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 05 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hello  Andrea,
   Yes these are my Gr Grandparents at the Albion Hotel  Harrington, they have moved around a bit . Before living at the Albion Hotel , John was the Innkeeper at Hensingham, Whitehaven, Lowther Arms with his family, my Grandma Hannah was born there.
 In 1874 when John married Gr Grandma Hannah, on the marriage Cert., John was an Iron Miner .  My mother told me he was a Cumberland Westmorland Style wrestler,   I have found out that some wrestlers did go into the Innkeeping trade.
   I am trying to found out about his wrestling career.

John & Hannah had a son called Samuel Easton Graham , but he died  at The Albion Hotel in 1899 April, he would be around 15 months.

On the 1881 census the John Graham living at Trumpet Road had a Daughter there called Mary Easton (Married).
 I thought this could be my  Gr Gr Grandparents because of the Easton connection.

My Gr Grandad  John Graham died in 1904 May and he is buried at Harrington Road Cemetery.

I hope this makes sense .   
Hazel.

Offline banks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 May 05 16:45 BST (UK) »
   Hello Andrea.
You found  my family (Gr Grandparents) living at the Albion Hotel at Harrington, Cumb. (Census  1881 Lowthers Arms Whitehaven. 1891 & 1901 census , The Albion Hotel,  Harrington.
 I am trying to find my Gr.Gr Grandparents,  ( John Graham's parents) when they were living around the Cleator Moor Area  on the 1871 census.
 John Graham born Arthuret.  around 1820.  Iron Miner.
 His wife Jane Graham born Longtown  around the same age.
Possibly,  a Daughter Mary, Born Longtown.   My Gr Grandad John born Rockcliff, Longtown, 1850.  There could be more children.
I hope this is'nt to confusing , both father & son were called John Graham.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
   Hazel.

Offline Jean Bowman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 October 13 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi folks.
I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons now. My name is Jean Bowman. My biological mother (as I was adopted in 1963) was Betty, so any pointers would be wonderful.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 October 13 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean and welcome to rootschat
Best not to put too much personal information about yourself for fear of identity theft etc.  If you still have a "modify" button at the top of your post you can alter it.   
Banks has not been on for some years but if you reply to this post you can then send a personal message by clicking on the letter icon under her user name.   If her email address has not changed then she should get that.
www.freebmd.org.uk is a site we all use for births etc and once you are back to census time it is all much easier.   For example, William and Hannah married in 1902 in the Whitehaven area so you should be able to find them in the 1911 census which is free to search on Ancestry at the moment I think.