Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 9 Episode #6 Alan Carr  (Read 17858 times)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 9 Episode #6 Alan Carr
« on: Wednesday 14 September 11 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd better start a thread seeing as no one else has,
I love Alan but I found this episode rather boring, how about you ?
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 9 Episode #6 Alan Carr
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 11 00:19 BST (UK) »
 ;D Possibly a view shared by a few, hence the thread not started!   ;D

I found him slight annoying with his giggle etc, which was a bit off putting.  I found the deserter information interesting, and the how/why of the name  change.  I think what kept me interested is that I grew up in Dartford, and an elderly auntie of mine also worked in Vickers.

I also had never heard of the Police Gazette as a resource.

Hope next weeks one is better!
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 11 00:38 BST (UK) »
Not the best one :-[

Looking forward to next's cos some of it filmed in my home town. No idea where the Bee Gees fit into Paisley :D

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 11 00:44 BST (UK) »
Possibly the Gibb name Ann,lots of 'em in Scotland.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 September 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
this was my post on ancestry fb page last night....

just finished watching WDYTYA, and i am very frustrated. i am searching for a man that i know must have changed his name, but i cannot for the life of me work out how to find him. ok so this program has inspired many to start their research but i think it needs to be made much clearer that its not always that easy!

i know this is something that has been discussed before, that they make it look too easy, but it is soooo frustrating.
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 September 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I agree they made it far too easy  for you to assume you could find someone who had changed their names - Also, I would have only thought that they were lodging with a Richard Mercer had the family not have known his alias.

I mean what were the children of Henry known as at school?  Mercer's or Carter's.  When did they swap back to using his real name?  Was it when Henry and Anna got married?  And what happened to Mr Laing?  Mmmmmm...... ???

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 11 08:49 BST (UK) »
I think without the family tale, Richard and Annie Mercer would've been completely overlooked in the ER's - why would anyone have made the connection otherwise?

They do make it look too easy - and inexpensive! Did you see the pile of certificates that researcher was holding - over a hundred quids worth by the look of it! Must be great to have bottomless pockets.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 September 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
I have no idea who the subject was, and after this very dull and uninteresting programme, I won't bother to find out !!

Pity ... the previous ones in the series have been excellent.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
I have never liked the so called comedian Alan Carr(even though he comes from near me,Northampton) and last night's programme confirmed it even more.

Agree with most of what's been said,without his mum's clue about her grandad's surname being Mercer not Carter he'd have never found him.

Half the programme passed with them talking solely about his grandad Carr and his Newcastle footballing career. I was begging them to start showing us some certs. Then blow me that lady in Kent produced dozens of them  ;D

As these programmes often start with them talking to their parents,I'd like to see them end the same way too,they used to do that.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk