Author Topic: John Robinson from Halifax  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Elice Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
John Robinson from Halifax
« on: Thursday 17 June 04 04:18 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I just wandered into this site looking for Robinson's. I have a John Robinson born approximately 1850 at Halifax and married Catherine Ann Collins at the Registry Office at Durham on 24th May 1873. At the time of his marriage John was living at Old Shildon, County Durham. His father on the marriage certificate is listed as James. Both were Blacksmiths.  
John and Catherine along with their 1 year old daughter Sarah, immigrated to NSW, Australia in 1878 on the "Samuel Plimsoll".  Sarah and John had another 2 living children a girl & a boy in Australia.  
Verbal family legend has John returning to England sometime after the birth of his 2nd daughter around 1889 and taking up with a woman and having a further 13 children and dying in England (cannot find death).
I have not been able to find John's birth certificate and hence have no known siblings so I have been sending emails to all and sundry hoping that something clicks with someone!  
Any hope you can give me would be appreciated.
Regards
Elice Byrne

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:John Robinson from Halifax
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 June 04 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Elice,

Have you managed to find the family on the uk census returns  ???

There are a couple of John R's on FreeBMD for halifax.....

Births Jun 1848
Robinson  John     Halifax  22 243  

Births Mar 1849
Robinson  John     Halifax  22 283  

Births Mar 1853
Robinson  John Edward     Halifax  9a 492  

The one for 1849 looks very good

Regards  :)

Rootschat  :) :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Elice Byrne

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 June 04 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
No, I found John, his wife Catherine and daughter Sarah on shipping records coming to Australia in 1878 on the "Samuel Plimsoll".  I have checked the census records but have had no luck.  Am kinda new to doing all this though and may have not looked at the right records.  I will check out the FreeBMD.  
Thanks for your help.
Elice

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 June 04 09:21 BST (UK) »
1851 Halifax index is also on www.familyhistoryonline.net (pay-per-view)

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.