Author Topic: William Henry Jordan  (Read 3661 times)

Offline mjjordan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry Jordan
« on: Sunday 18 September 11 23:27 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any link to my Gf William Henry Jordan married in 1918 in Trowbridge, Wilts, certificate gives his occuypation and residence as Pit Bank Colliery Worker, Treorchy, father Henry Jordan ( already deceased at time of Gfs marriage in 1918). Long time ago (2006) gazbods posted list of Welsh ancestors including Jordans from Somerset and Devon, both of which may be possibilities for my line. Is gazbods still around or does anyone else have evidence re these people and his assertion that they came to the valleys during the coal rush?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Jordan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 11 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

What age was William when he married
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mjjordan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,  thank you for your interest, we have him as age 34 at marriage, born 1886.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

If he was 34 in 1918 - he was born 1884 not 1886

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
This 1891 entry was living in  Llangenny Breconshire but was b Gloucs 1882

Henry Jordan 32 gardener b Gloucs
Alice   32 b Gloucs Westbury
William Henry   9  ditto
Kate   7 b Llangenny
Alice   3   ditto
George   2 ditto
RG12 Piece 4577 Folio 36 Page 10

Were there any Jordan witnesses on the 1918 marriage cert

Although Henry was deceased - is any occupation shown

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hello mjjordan  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

It looks as if gazbods has not been online since 2008. However, once you have made 3 Postings, you can try sending a Personal Message (PM) and if he has the same email address he should receive a notification of this. I can't see any specific posts about his Jordan family though.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline mjjordan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for help, my mistake, he is shown on marriage cert as age 33 on 1st Apl 1918, so birth could be 1884/5 as we don't know actual day/month of birth. The marriage witnesses are from the wife's side of the family, so no help. I have seen the 1891 one you have shown thanks Carole,  however, at birth in 1882, I don't think this is the right one, and the only other pointers I have are that my 93 yr old Aunt thought he was born in Tenby, but I can't find one that fits in that area, and anyway she says she was born in Tonypandy, but her birth was registered in Wiltshire as were the rest of her siblings so what can you believe?! She also mentions something about a shoemaker's shop in Exeter, which might be something to do with her grandfather, but I'm really not sure. I had not realised quite how many William or Henry Jordans or permutations thereof, and especially in Wales, there were.. and I don't have any other sibling details upon which to hang the family for definite.
I think I need to pin my hopes on finding which William Henry Jordan of the right age worked at one of the (three?) pits in Treorchy just prior to or during 1918 - is that ever going to be possible?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the 1911 census?

The free index shows a William Henry Jordan b 1885 living in Bedwelty but there are several William Jordans in the age range living in various other parts of Wales.  I used 1884 plus or minus 1yr to search

I used the instructions below to search for any with a Henry in the same household but although there were matches - none were in Wales

USING THE FREE 1911 INDEX TO DETERMINE THE CORRECT HOUSEHOLD

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

Once you find a possible match - make a note of the county and district in which the person was living

Return to the index and in PERSONAL DETAILS - just put the surname of the family - nothing else

In LOCATION - Select the county and below it - type in the district

In OTHER MEMBERS OF THE HOUSEHOLD - show the full name of the person you have found on the index

Click SEARCH

The 1911 census is strictly pay per view so you will have to buy credits to view the full entry - the above instructions will only help to possibly show others of the same name in the same household

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you know when and where William Henry died?

There is a death in Monmouthshire in 1970 showing birthdate 9.10.1883.  Freebmd December qtr 1883 has a birth in Barton Regis Gloucs