Author Topic: Dorothy Ethel PHIPPS  (Read 3302 times)

Offline sootycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dorothy Ethel PHIPPS
« on: Tuesday 27 September 11 00:03 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the Maori ancestry of our great great grandmother Dorothy Ethel Phipps.  She was born in Australia in 1898 in Carlton, Victoria.  Her mother's name was Mary Jane Phipps, daughter of Joanna Elliott and George Somers Phipps.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)
Counsell, Phipps, Johnston, Hine, Stevenson, Marriott

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy Ethel PHIPPS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 11 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
I'm not sure exactly where the Maori ancestry fits into your search is it Dorothy Ethel Phipps father or further back?

I also have a grandmother who had a child at the Carlton Women's Hospital and I have looked at their new web page which is the Royal Women's Hospital Victoria and they have an Archives centre with patient records up to 1889 online. They will provide information for births over 100 years old if they have it and you provide information that you are related. No promises that they will find anything.
http://www.thewomens.org.au/Archives

It's a lucky find for me too as I hadn't noticed before that they will provide information of deceased patients within the 100year time frame.

There is a mention on another page of costs involved so have a good look there are lots of internal links within the pages.

On the Maori issue I can only suggest listing on the new zealand forum and trying paperspast.natlib.govt.nz and nzhistory.net.nz The nz group have been particularly helpful and friendly with an issue I had.

Cheers
mabeljessie
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline sootycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 11 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for your reply. 

Our family has always spoken of Dorothy being a decendant of a Maori princess and the only senario I can think of is that it seems Mary Jane Phipps (Mother of Dorothy) had a child out of wedlock as she married Robert Osborn two years after Dorothy's birth.

I had already checked the Womens Hospital data, although had not yet requested a search from them, however I have a copy of  Dorothy's marriage certificate to Andrew Counsell in 1919 and it has been altered to show that her  maiden name had been changed to  Dorothy Ethel Phipps from Dorothy Ethel Osborn in 1932.

Kind Regards

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 11 02:44 BST (UK) »
Do you know where Joanna ELLIOTT and George Somers PHIPPS were born and their parents names please.

Leanne

Offline Walcha72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Granny Dot - my great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 September 11 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could Dorothy actually be of aboriginal descent?  We had a similar story in our family of being descended from a Maori princess.  After a lot of research it turns out we are of aboriginal descent and not one Maori to be seen.

Some of the older members of the family won't accept the aboriginal heritage and still claim to be part Maori.

I think being descended from a Maori princess was more socially accepted than being part aboriginal.

Just another option to consider.

Debbie
DICKSON, COWAN, ARMSTRONG, MARTIN - Roxburghshire
MITCHELL, MCCORMICK, CAMERON, CLEGG - Argyllshire
HOY - Essex, Australia
GRUNDY - Berkshire, Australia
ROPER - Hampshire, Australia
GILLIES - Aberdeenshire, Australia
BANKHEAD - Ireland?, Australia

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 September 11 02:58 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any of the names asked for on NZ BDM.

Leanne

Offline sootycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 11 03:10 BST (UK) »
George Somers Phipps was born in England in 1853 and Johanna Elliot was born in Victoria in 1860.

In relation to the Maori ancestry, older family members say they have seen a photo with a woman with a tatoo on her face but cannot seem to find anyone who has this photo, but will not dismiss the aboriginal ancesty either.

Regards

Jenny

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 11 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi sootycat,

on the 1898 birth it shows her mother as "May Phipps"and father unknown. Hard to know whether the May was intentional or a transcription error as I am going from a listing. I have the reg no if you are interested in buying the historical image at any stage from vicbdm - should cost around $17.50 from memory.

Cheers
mabeljessie
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 September 11 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could Dorothy actually be of aboriginal descent?  We had a similar story in our family of being descended from a Maori princess.  After a lot of research it turns out we are of aboriginal descent and not one Maori to be seen.

Some of the older members of the family won't accept the aboriginal heritage and still claim to be part Maori.

I think being descended from a Maori princess was more socially accepted than being part aboriginal.

Just another option to consider.

Debbie

I agree with Debbie, it was definitely socially acceptable to be descended from a Maori but definitely NOT to ever admit to being Aboriginal or with even one grandparent who may be Aboriginal ...  the social "stigma" lasted many generations, possibly from mid 1840s through to very VERY recent times.  I think it was quite deep seated and "ran" through oral histories for many families.  Please don't even consider getting too pedantic with the older generation, they are only reflecting what they were told by their parents, who were told by their parents. So simply make sure that the info you give the older generation does NOT discredit their Mum/Dad/Gran/Pop who are no longer around to defend themselves.... Because afterall, you may want to learn of other pieces of oral history to follow up on  ;)   ;D  ;D  ....   Just let them know that you have not been able to find the registration of the birth of the Maori Princess ....  

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.