Author Topic: John LAUGHLAN  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Gypsydescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John LAUGHLAN
« on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys heres a juicy one for the ardent searcher I am trying to find the birth or parents of John Laughlan born around 1845 ish he married Jane Rayner in Mudgee NSW Australia 20 3 1865 on the marriage cert it says he was a drover on the cert his last name is spelt Lachlan, there is no info about either of the his parents not even the fact of if they are alive or deceased. Jane Rayner died in USA in 1929 but I have no clue as to where he died,
 his children were
Edith
Mary
William
Winifred
John Sydney
George Herbert
Ernest Vivian
Amy Maud
Im not even sure if he was born here I have found a John Laughlan with parents PatrickLaughlan  and Catherine? on Ancestry but I dont know if that is right
Can anyone please help me
                    Gypsy

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: john laughlan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Birth certificates for the children may have his birth details but I realise it would be expensive to get them all.  You could email one of the registered transcription agents and see if they would extract just the father's information - if it has been recorded.

I see three of the children on NSW BMDs - with parents John and Jane, all registered at Mudgee

1876 #15413     Ernest Vivian    LAUGHLAN   

1870 #12938      Minette LAUGHLAN   

1880  #18957     Amy Maud M LAUGHLAN   

Transcription agent info at

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Edit to add:
Obtaining the certificate of the 1902 death may also give some clues.  The public tree gives this as the death date of your man.  On death certificates you can hope to find
Full name, sex and age, date and place of death, place of residence, usual occupation and marital status at date of death
Place of marriage, age when married, full name of spouse
Children's name and ages
Parent's names including mother's maiden name
Cause of death and duration of last illness
Burial or cremation date and place

Of course, this depends on the information given at the time, which may not be correct if the informant doesn't know all of the information.  As Amy seems to have married in 1905 there is a good chance that the details on his death cert may be worth seeking out.

1902 #7558   John  LAUGHLAN, fathers' name John, death registered at WOLLONGONG

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gypsydescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
I do have Williams birth cert but it gives only John Laughlan as father and nothing more on John

Offline Gypsydescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 14:00 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of applying for the death cert of John Laughlan 1902 Wollongong assuming this is the right one some of his family did end up in that area

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
I can see some of his family are buried at BULLI Cemetery & their surname throughout records is LAUGHLIN.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John LAUGHLAN
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Are you saying you have a marriage certificate (or a transcript) and it has blanks for the names of the parents of the bride and groom, the occupations of their fathers, etc?

Fingers crossed this will be helpful ....  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1870 MUDGEE
John LAUGHLIN, residence, Green Swamp
Peter LAUGHLIN, residence, Apple-tree Flat

NSW ER 1878 MUDGEE
John LAUGHLIN, residence, Green Swamp
John LOUGHANE, residence, Long Paddock
Thomas LOUGHLIN, residence, Home Rule

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Gypsydescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
I will work with the info from the electoral roll for now
I have a copy of the the actual marriage cert with no parent names maybe because they were married out in the country ?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
I will work with the info from the electoral roll for now
I have a copy of the the actual marriage cert with no parent names maybe because they were married out in the country ?

No, country/regional/rural/ districts is not the reason.... , the reason there's no parents names recorded on the NSW BDM registration is two fold ....   

a) the NSW legislation re civil registration and civl record keeping etc re marriages did not take effect until 1879 and even then NSW BDM did not enforce the requirement for the details re parents names etc, because of resistence from the various denominations, 
b) the NSW BDM has not ever completed the reconcilation process the church records with their own civil registration records  (some inner Sydney records are not yet reconciled.... funding issues existed even back in late 19th Century, and continue today, but I do wish they would get on with it though, as there are fewer and fewer people with the skills to read the late 19thC handwriting, as that style ceased being taught in NSW in the 1960s)

But regardless of where in NSW the 1865 marriage took place, the clergy interviewed the prospective couple, and obtained the names of their parents, etc made sure the two were eligible to marry (of age, or if minors, had consent, were not previously married, or could prove they were no longer married etc) ... That was a requirement of each denomination.  So, from the mc transcript, you will find the name of the clergyman, and the place where he conducted the marriage ceremony.  It is a matter of gaining access to the details he recorded....  ;)

Cheers,  JM