Author Topic: Gouldsbury, Lennon, Brown(e), Devenish families, Boyle, Roscommon  (Read 5453 times)

Offline francesr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gouldsbury, Lennon, Brown(e), Devenish families, Boyle, Roscommon
« on: Friday 30 September 11 09:21 BST (UK) »
I have done the Griffiths, Landed estates etc searches on these families. I think I am down to church records now? I have a Dr Arthur Brown(e) married to Rose/a Lennon - she died Boyle, 2.Sept.1866. They had the following children - Rosa Persse (m. Clendinning, went to Australia 1871), David (a Dr. in England), Anthony Lennon (Lieut-Col, RAMC - served in Africa, finally retired in England) + others?.
There is also a connection between Rev. John Gouldsbury, of Boyle (c.1760's), Susannah Devenish (possibly connected to Rush Hill, Drumsna??) and Kitty (Catherine) Devenish (died Dublin 1878.) There are also a number of - Gouldsbury Lennons (went to Australia, returned to England).
The main gaps seem to be prior to 1800.
I feel this is just the beginning of my search, but any help at all would be most welcome.
Thank you.
Francesr

Offline ian gartlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gouldsbury, Lennon, Brown(e), Devenish families, Boyle, Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frances

I am interested to chat with you about The Rev John Gouldsbury.
I am descended from his brother the Rev Ponsonby Gouldsbury.
I have a small amount of Information on the Gouldsburys but not much.
I can be contacted ***

regards

Ian

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Welcome to Rootschat Ian.
When you have 3 posts, you can exchange personal messages by clicking on the small icon under Frances' name.

best wishes
heywood
ALLEN: Acrise, Kent; COURT: Acrise, Kent; DOWN: Glastonbury, Somerset; FITZPATRICK: Gouran, Kilkenny; GARTLAN/D: Monaghan/Louth/Meath/Down; GOULDSBURY: Tullamore, Offally; GREEN: Kildare; HOBBS: Bristol, Avon; KEALY: Gouran Kilkenny; KITTERICK: Meath/Monaghan; McMAHON: Ardee, Louth; OMEARA: Gouran, Kilkenny; PICKFORD: Somerton, Somerset; WINDMILL: Glastonbury, Somerset;

Offline francesr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 11 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Ian,
Great to hear from a Gouldsbury relative. I would be most interested in anything you have, and hopefully I may have something new too. I have found a little on Rev. Ponsonby Gouldsbury but couldn't find how he fitted in to Rev. John snr and jnr.
Meanwhile, here is something further on "Mary Rose Lennon" who married Dr Arthur Brown in Boyle - they had 2 more sons which I inadvertantly omitted - Arthur Henderson and John Wilton Brown, both of whom came to Australia apparently after their sister Rosa Persse - the first died in a horse accident and the latter just after he had been back to Ireland.
There is supposed to be a number of Lennon memorials in Boyle Church of Ireland Church. Do you know anything about these?
Looking forward to hearing more. We can email when we have filled the requisite requirements.
Regards,
Francesr

Offline NicolaLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 22 19:38 BST (UK) »
george DEVENISH
B:abt 1857 Roscommon, Ireland is my 3ed great-grandfather interesting forum

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 08:22 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The OP (francesr) was online here yesterday and may be able to answer your statement about George Devenish.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 11:05 BST (UK) »

....and Kitty (Catherine) Devenish (died Dublin 1878.)

Catherine Devenish, a spinster and a gentlewoman died 7 July 1878 at 17 Wellington Place, Dublin. The informant was a Sarah Annesley also living at the aforesaid address.

Link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1878/020503/7194937.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline francesr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 22 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hullo Nicola and Kiltaglassan,
Thanks for your interest. I did know about Kitty's passing in 1878, but not the Sarah Annesley connection. Annesley crops up as middle names in later generations, and was connected to the Joynt family - 2 brothers who changed their last name to Annesley.
Nicola, I don't know how much you know of the Devenish family but you might like to check out the link below.
Kind regards,
Francesr
https://archive.org/stream/historicalgeneal00deve/historicalgeneal00deve_djvu.txt

Offline NicolaLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 February 24 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello francesr'

thank you for the link

N Devenish