Author Topic: SHIMIELD  (Read 3078 times)

Offline tresario

• I have turned off all notifications to all topics
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SHIMIELD
« on: Friday 30 September 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help me locate a George,Elsie,Nellie and John Shimield after 1939.  They lived at 45 Sidney Avenue Palmers Green. I can't seem to find anything on my usual searches for the surname in the 1900's. My kathleen Murphy worked for them, and I don't know where they went to.

After receiving an email stating the register was blurred, so after my query they checked it against kelly's directories and the name is SHIMIELD. not shimfield.!!

Appreciate the help

Bernie
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SHIMIELD
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

It looks like the actual spelling was probably Shimeild.

There is a death registration for a Nellie Shimeild in Enfield registration district in 1979 aged 90. On a free search of the 1911 census in Islington Nelly aged 22 was with George aged 20 and 3 month old Nelly.
There are birth registrations in Islington in 1911 for Nelly L., 1912 Elsie L., Dorothy E 1914 and John K. 1916 with a mother's maiden name Street. There was a later child born in Edmonton in the early 1930s who may still be living.
There is a death registration in Worthing registration district for a George F aged 76 (George Frederick birth registered 1890) and a marriage registration in 1977 in the same district for an Elsie L in 1977 (death registered Worthing 1984 Elsie Lily). Nelly L married in Edmonton in 1932 and Dorothy E in 1937. John Kenneth died on the Isle of Wight in 1984.

The time distance now between today and 1938 is 73 years. Kathleen Murphy may have been employed by the family or merely lodging with them. It is likely that with the major disruption of the war to peoples' lives and their occupations this didn't continue on through the war particularly with a woman who returned to Ireland if only briefly with her baby. The golden age of many families who could afford servants had passed with the ending of the First World War and during the Second World War there would be other occupations that women were needed to do.

The Hospital record database does indicate there are surviving records for the North Middlesex County Hospital both clinical and admission and discharge registers. Has the London Metropolitan Archives said both are missing for the time period you are interested in?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=20&hospital=north+middlesex&town=&searchdatabase.x=87&searchdatabase.y=8

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tresario

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 11 22:53 BST (UK) »

Unfortunately yes Valda, they had a look and there was only one book, like a  birth register ,called something else (that I cant remember the name of) for 1938, but no one for the name of Murphy. When Kathleen had the baby Patricia in Jan 1938, she kept her with her until July 1938. Kathleen herself was on the electoral roll in 1939 living with the family, at the same address as on the birth cert, where she was listed as a Domestic Maid, so I am assuming that this is the employer.

The other thing that has confused me is that on the 39 electoral, it states George, Elsie, Nellie and John Shimeild. But Nellie married in 1932, so she must have reverted back to her maiden name.

Thank you so much for the information, it is very much appreciated. I am left with two lines of enquiry to trace Kathleen's age and place of birth. Hopefully, they will uncover something so we might know what happened to her.
Kind Regards
Bernie
Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Nelly L. born 1912 married 1932, was the daughter of Nelly and George. The electoral roll would have Geore and Nelly, their son John and their then unmarried daughter Elsie Lily. Their younger child would not be old enough to vote and would not be included. Their two elder daughters Nelly L. and Dorothy E were both married by then.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tresario

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 11 11:15 BST (UK) »

Thanks Valda, I can see that now, I have put some notes next to it and got mixed up with my Nelly's!!  ::)

Kind Regards
Bernie

Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 October 11 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernie

On your other post I looked up the hospital databases at the wellcome library and Valda has done the same.

I did say try LMA, which you have done, but on the hospital database at wellcome library it does say records with Middlesex Hospital although some with LMA and I said try PALS at the hospital think that could be worth a shot, iof you go to the link that Valda posted and scroll down to the bottom you can see what records the hospital have.

Best wishes Jeanette
London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 October 11 01:31 BST (UK) »
Just going back to your original request about 'Homes for the destitute'.  I wasn't too sure if you meant Mother and baby homes there were only 2 in Edmonton but run by C of E.  You mentioned catholic and you may want to contact the Catholic Childrens Society (Westminster) who were formally known as Crusade for Rescue.  Maybe just another line to search.

Jeanette
London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Offline tresario

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 11 17:00 BST (UK) »

Thankyou for getting back to me. The lady at the archives telephoned me to say she had looked for the name and years I was asking for and the records weren't there. 

I contacted the catholic childrens society last week and am awaiting a response from them.  The medical certificate, which has since been lost,stated born in home for destitute in 1938, and readmitted in July 1938. So is the Crusade for Rescue the only home for the destitute? Do you know the names of the two mother and baby homes, as I can ask to check their records.

Thank you so much for your help it's very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Bernie

Breen,keenan,Boylan
Caldwell,Thompson,Bell.
Bradshaw,Smith,Waldron