Author Topic: MI lookup, please  (Read 2542 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MI lookup, please
« on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Could some kind soul with access to Alison Mitchell's "Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions on Speyside" tell me what it says on William Miller and Elizabeth Cumming's stone at Knockando.  According to Moray Libindx, the reference is Kn26, p.72 - L 929.5

Many thanks,

Jenny

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
Re: MI lookup, please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

It says

William Miller of Tomdow Died October 1794 aged 75, wife Elizabeth Cumming died November 1788 aged 72, Daughter Margaret 1710 1789. sons John, Charles, Hugh. (Headstone erected byHugh)

The dates following Margaret's name don't seem to make sense, but that is what is printed.

Regards
Jean

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
Jean,

You're a star!  The date of Elizabeth's death fits for me.  I have an Elizabeth Cumming b. 1715 on SP.  I wasn't sure it was her as it was an Edinburgh birth, but it is the only 1715 in Scotland and there are none either side ( in years ).  Thank you so much.

Jenny

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
Just a thought on Margaret and those odd dates, maybe they mis-transcribed the stone - say 1740 instead of 1710.

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 11 20:13 BST (UK) »
HIi

It more than likely is a mistranscription. But what the correct inscription is, is anyone's guess!

Regards
Jean

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
I am planning to be up there in March.  I'll have a look then.

Jenny

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
The date of Elizabeth's death fits for me.  I have an Elizabeth Cumming b. 1715 on SP.  I wasn't sure it was her as it was an Edinburgh birth, but it is the only 1715 in Scotland

Be careful, Jenny. Just because there is only one in the records doesn't mean she has to be the right one. Many people went unrecorded. You need to find some additional evidence before you can be sure the one born in Edinburgh is the one buried in Knockando, or not as the case may be.

In particular, note that all the early parish registers of Knockando were destroyed by fire some time in the later 1700s, I forget the exact date.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, you're absolutely right.  I thought the same after I'd posted the reply, I got carried away.  She'll remain a possible without more to go on.  The Knockando records pre 1768 were destroyed in the Archiestown fire of 1783, it's so frustrating!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 23:27 BST (UK) »
The Knockando records pre 1768 were destroyed in the Archiestown fire of 1783, it's so frustrating!

Isn't it just! My Cruickshank ancestors materialised in Rothes in 1766. I am convinced they had just come over the hill from Knockando, where there are stacks of Cruickshanks, but I suppose I'll never really know for sure.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.