Author Topic: caldwell family  (Read 3012 times)

Offline parreni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
caldwell family
« on: Monday 03 October 11 05:08 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace Margaret Caldwell born about 1817 to James Caldwell & Elizabeth nee Quinn, possibly Tandragee, Tamnavelton is mentioned for some of the children.
They had 9 children, 6 emigrated to Australia at various times as well as the parents.  Two boys died before the parents emigrated but I cannot find any trace of Margaret except the she was alive when the parents died in 1873 and 1874 in Victoria, Australia.  She may have married and stayed in Ireland, or emigrated under her married name.  Margaret is my great grand fathers sister.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: caldwell family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this will help or not , but I'll post it for other Caldwell hunters as well!  My guess is that the James I have is too early for you, probably being born around 1760-1765, therefore having children about the 1780's - 1790's, though if your Margaret was the last in a large number of children its just possible.

The Langtry's shown were from Kilmore, near Lurgan but moved to Belfast at about the time of this tree.  There is a Lismoyne Park in Belfast, which is the closest I've found to "Lismoin" that these CALDWELLS come from.  They may have had shipping interests out of Belfast, as out family was into shipping between Belfast and Liverpool at that time.

There is a doc at PRONI (T/781/4) that details the Callwell[sic] Family as follows :-

Unknown CALLWELL/CALDWELL parents had children :-
(1) James
(2) Robert of Lismoin
(3) Nathaniel
(4) Mrs Thompson
(5) Mrs Robert Magee
(6) Mrs Langtry (From my notes Frances : b 11/JUN/1772 m 8/AUG/1794 to George LANGTRY, d 8/11/1825)

Children of Robert Callwell of Lismon :-
(2.1) Robert m Benice(?) Harrison (sorry the writing is hard to read)
(2.2) Benice(?) m Mr Irwin
(2.3) William m Elizabeth Marter or Martin "who ran away" (children Emily and Anette)
(2.4) Henry m Miss Martin of Ross, Galway
(2.5) Janet (Unmarried)

On a line that protrudes between (2.2) and (2.3) above, but looking like they belong to Robert(2) are also :
(2.?) "Son in Amerika"
(2.?) do (ditto - I assume another son in America)
(2.?) George of Lismoin
(2.?) William Henry, surgeon at Royal Hospital

Children of Nathaniel (3) are :-
(3.1) jane m Dr Staunton
(3.2) Lelias m Lundy Foot
(3.3) Nathaniel m (1) Miss D'Olier, (2) Mrs English nee Miss Wilson
(3.4) Margaret m George Langtry (From my notes - b 1807 Dublin, m George LANGTRY 2/JAN/1826, d 12/JUN/1876)
(3.5) Joseph m Miss Foot (Archdeacon of Clogher)
(3.6) Catherine m Mr Robert Wilson
(3.7) Elizabeth m Mr Smyley(?) (had children Ellen and Fanny)
(3.8 ) Ellen/Elizabeth m Mr Irwin (had children Henry , unreadable and unreadable))

Offline parreni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 March 12 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Todd
Thank you very much for your reply, unfortunately I don't recognise any names you have listed in your reply.
I have a lot of information on the family, except for Margaret, I only have a christening date for her.
Enid

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 12 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Enid

No problem. Best of luck in the hunt.

I was looking at other info I had on this tree, which I'll post for others just in case :-

The 'unknown parents' above were Robert Callwell and Catherine Magee.  Roberts father was also Robert.

The "Mrs Thompson" is Eliza Callwell
The "Mrs Magee" is Jane Callwell

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 12 04:06 GMT (UK) »
I found some more info on the above line :-

Children of Eliza Callwell m THOMPSON are :-

1) Wiliam
2) Robert m Miss Sinclair
3) Jane
4) Matt
5) James m Miss Cunningham
6) Catherine m John Harrison (children Henry, John, Bernice?, Catherine)

Children of Jane Callwell m Robert MAGEE are
1) Robert
2) Margaret
3) Mary
4) James

Offline Calytrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 16:23 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this will help or not , but I'll post it for other Caldwell hunters as well!  My guess is that the James I have is too early for you, probably being born around 1760-1765, therefore having children about the 1780's - 1790's, though if your Margaret was the last in a large number of children its just possible.

The Langtry's shown were from Kilmore, near Lurgan but moved to Belfast at about the time of this tree.  There is a Lismoyne Park in Belfast, which is the closest I've found to "Lismoin" that these CALDWELLS come from.  They may have had shipping interests out of Belfast, as out family was into shipping between Belfast and Liverpool at that time.

There is a doc at PRONI (T/781/4) that details the Callwell[sic] Family as follows :-

Unknown CALLWELL/CALDWELL parents had children :-
(1) James
(2) Robert of Lismoin
(3) Nathaniel
(4) Mrs Thompson
(5) Mrs Robert Magee
(6) Mrs Langtry (From my notes Frances : b 11/JUN/1772 m 8/AUG/1794 to George LANGTRY, d 8/11/1825)

Children of Robert Callwell of Lismon :-
(2.1) Robert m Benice(?) Harrison (sorry the writing is hard to read)
(2.2) Benice(?) m Mr Irwin
(2.3) William m Elizabeth Marter or Martin "who ran away" (children Emily and Anette)
(2.4) Henry m Miss Martin of Ross, Galway
(2.5) Janet (Unmarried)

On a line that protrudes between (2.2) and (2.3) above, but looking like they belong to Robert(2) are also :
(2.?) "Son in Amerika"
(2.?) do (ditto - I assume another son in America)
(2.?) George of Lismoin
(2.?) William Henry, surgeon at Royal Hospital

Children of Nathaniel (3) are :-
(3.1) jane m Dr Staunton
(3.2) Lelias m Lundy Foot
(3.3) Nathaniel m (1) Miss D'Olier, (2) Mrs English nee Miss Wilson
(3.4) Margaret m George Langtry (From my notes - b 1807 Dublin, m George LANGTRY 2/JAN/1826, d 12/JUN/1876)
(3.5) Joseph m Miss Foot (Archdeacon of Clogher)
(3.6) Catherine m Mr Robert Wilson
(3.7) Elizabeth m Mr Smyley(?) (had children Ellen and Fanny)
(3.8 ) Ellen/Elizabeth m Mr Irwin (had children Henry , unreadable and unreadable))

I think the Henry born to Ellen/Elizabeth and Mr Irwin (3.8) might be my great-great-grandfather... he was a “Mr HH Irwin”, with a sister Jane Harriette, but I’ve also seen a record of his father married to an Elizabeth Callwell with 3 younger kids... this looks like a very useful puzzle piece! :-)

Offline Calytrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 15:05 BST (UK) »
I've found the marriage records for Robert Callwell's daughter Elizabeth (Bessie) Callwell's marriage to William G Irwin, on 13th Dec 1837. (see 2.2 above)

I'm wondering whether Nathaniel Callwell also having a daughter Ellen/Elizabeth married to a Mr. Irwin (3.8 ) might be a double entry of the same young lady... ?