Author Topic: Upper Shandon, Cork - parish?  (Read 5052 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Upper Shandon, Cork - parish?
« on: Tuesday 04 October 11 01:04 BST (UK) »
Am new to researching Ireland, Cork in particular.  Have had a look at the map but need help.
Ancestor lists birth place/native place as "Upper Shandon" or "Shandon", Cork.  abt 1806.  Appears to be RC as an adult.
What parishes, churches should I be looking at?
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline wild rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Shandon, Cork - parish?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Cocksie,

You would need to look for your information in the records of St. Mary and St. Anne's R.C. Cathedral. Cork.
Cork:      Desmond/Meany,Mountain/Meany,Mountain/Robinson, Barnes/Barry,Mountain/Green,Mountain/Healy                                     

Carlow:  O'Neill/Bailey

England: O'Neill/Pollard, Robinson/O'Neill, Robinson/Cork.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the records of St Mary's & St Anne's Cathedral aren't available online. They can be viewed on microfilm in the NLI Dublin or in hard copy in the county library Cork. However, you can contact the cathedral directly http://www.corkcathedral.ie/Genealogy/Genealogy.html
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 05:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies - so I think I am on the right track now.
I have contacted Cork Cathedral (live in Oz so other avenues are tricky).
Noticed during my research (trying to understand Cork Parishes) that this Cathedral was not opened until 1808.  Prior to this, apparently, people in the area attended mass in local mass houses and later at the North Presentation Convent.
Also noticed that there was (still is?) a St Mary's Church/Cathedral (Dominican?) much older down by the river on Pope's Quay.  But am going to assume that the Cathedral holds these registers.

I am looking for a Richard SEYMOUR b. abt 1806 in Upper Shandon. Interesting that all the Seymours listed in directories seem to be on south side of river so might have to also look down there.

Once, again, thank you
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I had a look at the church records today for St Mary & St Anne Shandon (RC) and couldn't locate any baptism for Richard Seymour around 1806.

There were some births for Seymours with the father's name Richard Seymour however these were from 1815 to 1869

I could only find one baptism for a Richard Seymour and that was on 26th July 1862 to Thomas Seymour & Mary Connor/s of Blarney Lane.  Other children of this marriage Ann 29.06.1864,  Martha 9.3.1860, & William 27.1.1867

List of any records with Richard Seymour -

Child                     Date of baptism           Fathers name              Mothers name
Edward                  27.03.1869            Richard Seymour         Mary Connor (Blarney St)

Mary                      10.02.1793            Richard Seymour         Elizabeth Noonan

Michael                   05.09.1815           Richard Seymour         Mary Sweeney

Ann                        1.12.1851     Richard Seymour (7 children )  Julia Wals(Winters Hill)
Ellen                       7.2.1854                 ""   "                         "    "
Mary                       7.5.1855                 "                              "
Catherine                3.10.1857               "                               "
William                    8.12.1859              "                                "
Elizabeth                  17.1.1865             "                                "
Mary                        9.06.1866             "         it is possible the 1st Mary died young and they named a second daughter Mary also.

Did your Richard marry and have children in Cork?

Were they definately R.C?  There was a Church of Ireland  church St. Marys at the bottom of Shandon Street around the 1800's and this was demolished around 1870's ( approx not sure without referring to my notes).

There was also a baptism for a Richard Seager !!!  17.4.1793 Father Richard Seagors & mother Mary Sweeney.
Don' t know if this is a help or maybe more confusing.
Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:48 BST (UK) »

I forgot to include the Seymour male marriages

2.8.1758  Bartholemew Seamor  m Catherine Callaghan

21.6.1769  John Seymour m  Mary Murphy  ( Pool) possibly Blackpool?

14.5.1791  John Seymours m  Ellen Barry

11.1.1819   John Seymour  m Grace Brandsfield

19.5.1859   Thomas Seymour  m Mary Connor  ( Their children's births are listed in my previous post) ( Martha, Richard, Ann & William)

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 October 11 00:35 BST (UK) »
Mary, thank you for the plethora of information.  I have been doing a crash course in history of Cork in an effort to trace a certain Richard Felix Seymour. This is what we think we know:
1. Born in Upper Shandon abt 1806 (based on Military Discharge papers, military research)
2. Under age enlistment in 17th Regiment of Foot in Gosport July 1823 (how/why he got there is mystery although my Cork history crash course provides a few possibilities ).
3. Shipped with 17th to Australia 1830
4. 2 x Illegitimate children (1st bap. CofE, 2nd bap. RC) with Eleanor Leonard (convict) in NSW.
5. Marries Eleanor Leonard in NSW 1837 RC church
6. 5 x further children, all bap. RC
7. Discharged 1848 from military in NSW
8. Wife dies 1850 (death RC)
9.  Richard dies 1860, destitute (death RC)
10.  Children variously marry in RC and CofE

Am I sure Richard Seymour was baptised RC? 
No but seems most likely - would a Protestant Irish soldier marry in RC church?  I put myself in the era and think not .... however my family branches, once in Australia, seem to have a tendancy to hop in and out of religious denominations whenever they feel like it.

I have trawled through Cork directories in search of Seymours and they all seem to be listed on south side of the river (according to my map). 

Tracking Seymour marriages & births (including the data you posted) seems to indicate there was a degree of movement between St Finbarr (South) and Upper Shandon parish.

Am trying to track down a 1793 Directory of Householders in the Parish of St Anne's Shandon ..... no luck to date.

All info appreciated and gratefully received
Jenny

Offline loudam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 October 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
Jenny

This is a trade directory for cork 1787, not sure if you've seen it or if it would be of any use..
http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1787lucasscorkdirectory/lucas_directory_1787_a.pdf
page 152 has 2 seymouras listed
O Riordan/Riordan / Dorgan/ Barry (Cork & Rathcooney)
O Sullivan & O Shea/Shea (Cork)
O Connell (Cork)
Walsh (Cork & Killarney)
Baldwin & Stanton, Sullivan, (Cork)
Lonergan (Cork, Tipperary, Limerick)
Deady ( Cork-Kanturk)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 October 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
Yep, got them both on my every-increasing spreadsheet of "Seymour clues in Cork" - both have addresses/locations listed within the St Finbarr Parish (south of river). 
Thank you.