Author Topic: BALLARD South Weald, Shenfield, Brentwood  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BALLARD South Weald, Shenfield, Brentwood
« on: Tuesday 04 October 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I need some help here as I've been given some info that I am trying to confirm and have hit a brick wall on a few fronts  :-\

I am looking for Samuel Ballard's marriage to Ann ?Herrington that apparently took place in 1795 in Brentwood. I would really like to confirm the surname of the bride, and hopefully get the name of Samuel's father if a marriage entry exists anywhere.

I have a possible birth for Ann Herrington  on 8 Jan 1776 at Breamore, Hants from the Hampshire Baptisms m. Mary f. William, and a possible burial for her in Q4 1840 Vol 12 P.1 at St Mary the Virgin at Shenfield.

Also a possible burial for Samuel also at Shenfield on 28 May 1837 aged 68, but this does not seem to appear on the civil death record.

In addition I have a birth entry for their son Abraham from 7 Aug 1814 that I've found on the LDS which fits in with other info from Australia that also states that Abraham was from Essex and born 1814. Unfortunately no records here that I have confirm his parents, other than the word of other researchers.

Possible siblings of Abraham born in Brentwood from the IGI are Thomas (Balard) 17 Feb 1802; Samuel 27 Jan 1805; Susannah Elizabeth 16 Aug 1807; Charlotte 25 Dec 1808 buried Shenfield 25 Jul 1815; Charles 7 Aug 1814; John 1 Apr 1816; Charlotte Ann 8 Mar 1818.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lee
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BALLARD South Weald, Shenfield, Brentwood
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 11 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Burial St Mary Shenfield 1st November 1840
Ann Ballard aged 64

Though the age would fit with the baptism in Breamore Hampshire the places are well over a 100 miles apart. Essex parishes are relatively poorly served compared to many other counties by the IGI/Family Search.

Hopefully Essex Record Office will place online Essex parish registers by the end of October

see this topic for information

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,543364.0.html

They will be unindexed though. There are baptism, marriage and burial indexes for Essex.

The Essex marriage index with a link to the other indexes, though the baptism index would not go far enough back for a search for an Ann Herrington baptism in the surrounding Essex parishes not covered by the IGI/Family Search.

http://www.sturnidae.com/Essex/Marriages.htm

Civil registration began 1st July 1837

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda
Hopefully once Essex is online I can wade through and find something. Also thanks for clarifying date for civil registrations - my man just missed out but at least I won't waste more time searching for his death there.
Regards
Lee
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
You have mentioned Brentwood, South Weald, and Shenfield.
Remember when you start ploughing through Parish Registers that these are three different parishes. There are others in the area, which might loosely be described as "Brentwood" too e.g Warley.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liz

I'll have to find some good parish map resources as Brentwood seems to have been a catch-all, and I'm not in the area to have first-hand knowledge. Many of the certs I have are from Australia where only "Essex" was given, and court documents from Essex (prior to transportation) don't give details. Shenfield appears to be the more consistently named place for Ballard burials, so once the info is available that will probably be the logical place to start.  :-\

Offline Gundy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Abraham Ballard is my great-great-grandfather. I was born in Gundagai NSW Australia in 1950. By sheer coincidence I will be staying in Brentwood in August 2012. I would like any further information you may have on Abraham's parents (Ann Herrington and Samuel Ballard ?). I would love to visit St Mary the Virgin church to see the graves.
Ballard

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Remember that not everyone had a headstone, so there may be nothing to see!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk