Author Topic: Alfred Alford, woodcarver  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred Alford, woodcarver
« on: Thursday 06 October 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My gt gt grandfather was Alfred Alford, who apparently carved the special pew ends in St Colums Cathedral in Derry in 1862, with his father. I would like to find more info on this father and son.

I understand that Alfred died of cholera in 1865 and when I visited the Derry City cemetery I found that he's buried in a paupers grave there. The records there state that he died aged 48 (and so was born c1817), that his parents were Alfred and Fanny Alford and that he was born in London.
I can't, however, find anything further on this.

I know that he married Margaret Elliott (b 1828 I think, d 1896, maybe from England, maybe a school teacher) but can't find anything on this.
As well as the children who apparently died with him in the 1860's, he had a daughter, Annie Maria (b 1855 Co Antrim d 1896), my grandmother, and a son, Alfred Alford (b1861 Co. Antrim,d 1937).

** Does anyone have any info on Alfred Alford, his parents or his wife? **

Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Alford Woodcarver
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
Since you are looking for information on Alfred's parents, etc. I'm going to move this from Londonderry board to Beginners so that it will have a wider audience.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Alford, woodcarver
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, think this is  the same family, you may already have this info

Alfred Alford born 1859 County Antrim, father Alfred Alford mother Margaret

Alfred Alford = Jane Mitchell Jul - Sep Quarter1882, Carlisle Rd. Pres Church, Londonderry, Alfred's father recorded as Alfred Alford

I see they had moved to County Armagh for birth of son Alfred in 1883

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Alford, woodcarver
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 September 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Joemc,

A very very belated thank you for your reply.

I have found that the son of Woodcarver Alfred Alford (b 1817 London, d Derry 1865), also called Alfred Alford was married twice: in 1882 in Derry to Jane (Jeanie) Mitchell (1862-1902), with whom he had 9 children in Lurgan, and in 1913 in Lurgan to Elizabeth Craig (1886-1970), with whom he had a son, George in 1919 in Portadown.

The wife of Woodcarver Alfred Alford was Margaret Elliott, and I have found that she was born in 1828 in Dublin (not England), and died in Strabane in 1896.

I have hit a wall regarding finding anything else on the roots of Woodcarver Alfred Alford. I would love to find his marriage details with Margaret Elliott, but can't. I assume they were married in early 1850's, but don't know where.

I wonder if anyone has any info on this.
Thanks again.