Author Topic: james smith of hull  (Read 5542 times)

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james smith of hull
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 October 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello
         Just a message to say.if any-one as a querry to family
 history,in hull.all records kept in beverley.
 e.mail.
 support AT beverleyweb.com
 this was given to me by hull library
                    mike
selby.yorkshire.
names.smith.hobman.lazenby.earl.abbey.walton.russell.to name a few.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 October 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Sounds about right!! for East Yorkie Land lot- they do stuff like that!! Like too totally confuse folk! The word simple! seems not to be used for their Diction!

http://www.beverleyweb.com/index.html

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 October 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Been to Beverley Archives and had a look at the original Book

There are two John Smith's bapt 1765 Sutton in Holderness -ST James Church Stoneferry

1) (Could not make out day date) April - John Smith son of John Smith bapt(Nothing else)

2) 23rd July -  John son of What look like it could be John Smith   -Roper bapt  (but the Writting is faded and register is in a right state of affairs)

I my self think its been put down wrong or the word James (Looking like John from the  dots mush scrible) is illegable (This is the the main original register entry  !!Not copy BT)

3) I check years from 1752 to 1770 and no other entry of a John of James Smith Bapt in this register in aforesaid years.

4) Another clue is that when the Fathers name is the same as the son!! the clerk puts the full Name of the son and the fathers full name  (As with the April 1765 John Smith of John Smith but not with this 23 rd of July 1765 entry of John son of J----- Smith- Roper

There are no Fiche film of this register as the state of it! & won't film as readable.

Dobby
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 October 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hello.Dobby
                Thank you very much. for looking at the Beverley.
 records.. such a shame. records in  a very bad way.but can state so are the early selby records.alas.after your fine effort. belive its safe to stick at the wedding of john smith and sarah lee.1786.selby.
 am lucky to get back as far as this. with a name like smith.have always assumed my smith were selby any-way.
belive it is foolish to put wrong smith in.as johns father.
wonder what the beverley archive will tell me.when get a reply.?
 thanks again
         Dobby.
                      mike

selby.yorkshire.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 October 11 21:55 BST (UK) »
My own view is

You have John's Marriage info 1786
You know James Smith a Roper From Hull was the father of son John Smith age 21 = b 1765
You know there was only one marriage of a James Smith and bride  Ann
(Baldwin) 1752 Sutton in Holderness a Roper

Therefore can push on back & by pass this bapt 1765 or accept with a ? as irrelevant

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 October 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Dobby
            Yes you are correct. fathers did tend to name their
 sons .the same as there own. have this with thomas. etc .
later on.
                      thanks
                       mike
selby.yorkshire.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 October 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
A Probate /Will of James (With son John in) if he left one also James's fathers Probate (With son James in)

Wills in Holderess or Hull at Borthwick York Uni.

Therefore work on Burials not Bapts of James and his father also maybe an MI epitaph or a gravestone epitaph. St James Church Stoneferry in Sutton in Holderness greater parish

Good hunting

Dobby

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 October 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Dobby
            Thanks for the helpful insight. will follow it up
                        mike
selby.yorkshire.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 October 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTION BOOKLETS . . . (or M I 's )
for Sutton St James' churchyard . . a list prepared in 1993 by the East Yorkshire Family History Society, in two thick booklets, available to view and for note taking. It includes an index of all names of everyone buried, in the graveyard or within the church itself, as far back as the headstones themselves. Some 1,550 graves in all, though we must remember that some gravestones have deteriorated since the list was compiled in 1993, and many more are much overgrown. Knowing the grave is there is one thing, finding it is something else.

Also includes a plan of the churchyard showing all plots. We have Dave Mount to thank for such a 'monumental' undertaking of editing, and Mr & Mrs Walford for typing the original list.
In addition, by the kind efforts of Bernard Sharp in 2009 and 2010, we can now also offer individual photos of just about all the headstones from the THIRD EDITION of his CD, which can be viewed at the Old School. This updated CD now contains some 1,900 quality photos and completes Bernard's photographic survey of our churchyard, including many that were left off before, and more recent memorials and inscriptions, as well as those inside the church.
Both MI booklets can be purchased from the EYFHS for around £5. Indeed, ANY of the publications below that are shown as by the EYFHS can be purchased from them, through their website.

So there is:
Sutton on Hull (St.James Churchyard) Part 1 and 2

http://www.rhaywood.karoo.net/st-james/famhist.htm

http://www.eyfhs.org.uk/

http://www.rhaywood.karoo.net/st-james/st-james.htm