Author Topic: james smith of hull  (Read 5541 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james smith of hull
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 October 11 09:09 BST (UK) »
Selby was one of the 158 Yorkshire parishes to be influenced by the Reverend William Dade, and full information is given for baptisms, marriages and burials during the period 1775 to 1812.  In some cases 4 generations are named.  Swillington was also a "Dade" parish.

Northumberland and Durham had a similar system, influenced by Bishop Shute Barrington and again about the same timescale.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 October 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
There could be a connection as father John  brother of James or Mistranscribed

Jo-or Jas-Jn'o- Jo's for father in crap hand writting in the register-therefore  Bt's need checking for this event at Borthwick Institute York Uni nr York city England of this event as fathers name
Date and place but no mother name but I think all in all its the right John Smith as marriage 1752 Sutton in Holderness Hull and age on John's marriage age 21 in 1786 and with the brides age being exact at 18 years. bearing in mind this sort info is very rare on marriage registers then and the river to Selby from Hull also a sailor

Seems very likely but still needs confirming on church/BT'S register at libraries or Archives

JOHN SMITH
  bapt 23 JUL 1765   Sutton In Holderness, Yorkshire, England

Father:  JOHN   ??? SMITH
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 October 11 09:39 BST (UK) »
Selby was one of the 158 Yorkshire parishes to be influenced by the Reverend William Dade, and full information is given for baptisms, marriages and burials during the period 1775 to 1812.  In some cases 4 generations are named.  Swillington was also a "Dade" parish.

Northumberland and Durham had a similar system, influenced by Bishop Shute Barrington and again about the same timescale.

BumbleB

Nice one! That explains It!  Sue!

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 October 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Every-one
                      Had to turn the computer off. some-one at the door. just turned on. to see all  the posts. thank you one and all. just a querry .is it possible there is a hull disc.
 like have.
 baptims 1579-1812
marriages 1583-1812
 burials 1581-1812
all in selby this disc.
would be intrested in buying one.
                  mike
selby.yorkshire.
names.smith.hobman.lazenby.earl.abbey.walton.russell.to name a few.

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 October 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hello
   Just had a quick look. found two james smith .
 one.
 james smith 5th nov 1735. saint mary .kingston upon hull
  two
 james smith 5th march 1740. sutton in holderness.
   pity.as james married in 1752, would only be 12,if the 1740 .was my james.
                       mike
selby.yorkshire.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 October 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
james smith 5th nov 1735. saint mary .kingston upon hull
  two

That looks like it could him as would be 17/18 years old in 1752 quiet normal age to Marry then

I'll check the BTs Sutton in Holderness out at York Borthwich Institute as the 1765 Bapt for the father name either John or James. next week.

Yet you can by pass that bapt as you know James was the John's father and approx year of birth 1765

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 October 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Dobfarm
            Thank you very much.for the offer. of looking up. its seems such a long time was able to go myself. do hope can get there some time in the near future. its coming on the this wonderful site. and finding people who are willing to put them selves out . which is so rewarding,
          thanks
                mike
selby.yorkshire.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 October 11 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

I've been looking at that IGI family search entry for John Smith in the source info and its from the BTs baptism at York or Sutton in Holderness. 1765. I'll check for father's name for any error but the the original church entry is the one that needs checking as I strongly suspect the BT's as copies of the Church register sent to the bishop is likely where an error could have accrued. I would get in touch with Hull Library. They wont charge any thing for a one off known date look up or sent for a copy of the event 1765 about usual  charge of £2 with SAE postage

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=221,93208&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&p_display_mode=LIBDTLS&p_id=29

or

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=221,98595&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 October 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Dobfarm
         Thank you have just sent a e-mail to hull library.
 so fingers crossed. as they say.
                   mike
selby.yorkshire.