Author Topic: Is this likely - Richard Head marriage in Byfleet 1802  (Read 1716 times)

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this likely - Richard Head marriage in Byfleet 1802
« on: Sunday 09 October 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

I am tracing a branch of the the Head family who resided in Chobham in the early 1800's. The info I have so far is that Stephen Head, my umpteen great grandfather, was baptised in Chobham on 11 June 1815, the son of Richard and Elisabeth. He had 1 brother (James, bap 30 June 1811) and 2 sisters (Sarah, bap 20 Sep 1806, and Charlotte, bap 22 may 1808).

I cannot find a marriage of Richard and Elisabeth in Chobham, but did locate one for Richard Head and Elizabeth Spong in Byfleet on 22 August 1802.

Thing is they disappear from 1802 to 1806 when they crop up in Chobham. I have checked all the surrounding parishes and cannot find them.

So is it possible that they didn't have any children till 1806, or have I missed something?

Any ideas?

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Is this likely - Richard Head marriage in Byfleet 1802
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

IGI has these baptism

William Head bp. 12 Dec. 1802 St. Lawrence Chobham Surrey. Parents: Richard Head and Elizabeth

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
HI Claire,

Many thanks for this, wonder why I missed it in the parish record... Could it be that the marriage is much earlier? I've had this before where there are 2 families with the same named parents, and Head isn't an uncommon name.

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
I have gt x 2 grandparents who didn't have any children for the first 6 years of their marriage, that I can discover.  I've conjectured that maybe there was some physical problem which sorted itself out; that my gt x 2 grandfather, who refuses to appear on any censuses, might have been in prison, or that as he was a fisherman he was away at sea a lot, or that perhaps his wife had a number of miscarriages or stillbirths.  As it is, they had 4 sons (not a large family for the time) and only two of them reached adulthood.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex