Author Topic: grove street glasgow  (Read 9694 times)

Offline ONALASKA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
grove street glasgow
« on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Looking to speak to anyone who lived or had family in Grove Street Glasgow @1955. My mother's family were the Cameron's at 79.

Offline aus73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: grove street glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
I started school in 1955 at Grove Street Primary.  We lived around the corner in Abercorn Street, Cowcaddens.  How can I help?
Cheers
Maz.

Offline ONALASKA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 12 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying.  However, my mum was a good deal older as she was early 30's then. Did you know the Cameron's or perhaps your family?
The area seems to have been torn down in the 70's am I right? Was this the Raglan street area as is now? Is the same school still there, I can make it out on some photo's of the area .
Thankyou so much for replying.

Offline aus73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, you are right, I was quite young then, but I think there were two Cameron families in Grove Street.  Number 79 would have been at the Garscube Road end, while Grove Street Primary School was down at the other end, on the corner of St. Peter's Street.  I don't remember much about the Camerons, except my older brother had a friend called John Cameron who would have been born around 1945.

Raglan Street ran between North Woodside Road and Garscube Road. St Joseph's RC Primary School in those days was on North Woodside Road, and they had the famous playground on the roof.  St Joseph's is still there, but the Raglan Street that I remember is long gone (good!).  All of this area, known as the Cowcaddens was demolished in the early 1970s.  Some parts survive, but Grove Street School is gone, as is the Grove Street Institute and many other landmarks. There is a new Abercorn School there now.

My late parents would certainly have known your family, as my father grew up in the area and went to St. Josephs.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  I do have my father's school photograph from St. Josephs circa. 1935.
Cheers
Maz

Offline ONALASKA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thank you for taking the time to reply. My Mum went to St Josephs RC school and was married at St Josephs .  It is difficult to find any details about the area even at the records at Mitchell Library. Your information has helped get a better idea of the area. I may try again at the Mitchell and see what I can find out.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 15:59 GMT (UK) »
have you looked here there is four pages may be of help to you htpp:urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/st-josephs-s-north-woodside

Added: Link above not working, try http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1529&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (hope this is the one you were trying to link, Harrywrag)

Offline linsco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 20:41 BST (UK) »
My mother was a Cameron who lived in Grove Street until she married in 1955.

Offline linsco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, wonder if this would help.  My Grandmother's name was Margaret Cameron. She had 5 children, Robert, Catherine, William, Ronald and the youngest was my mother Elizabeth who was born in 1932. The family resided at No. 79 Grove Street.  My grandmother relocated to Crown Street in Hillhead and then to Saltcoats in Ayrshire. Wonder if you may be my cousin!  :) 

Offline linsco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 August 13 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, if you are looking for a great photo of Grove Street there is one on page 8/9 of a book by Robert Jeffrey & Ian Watson called Clydeside Faces & Places...The Herald book of the Clyde Volume 3.  The photo shows the tenement at No 64.  The building you refer to at No 79 would have looked onto this. This is a great book with lots of interesting photos. Linda