Author Topic: Andrew Reid and unknown policeman  (Read 1194 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Reid and unknown policeman
« on: Tuesday 11 October 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
I attach the photo of the unknown policeman.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Reid and unknown policeman
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
What is it you want to know?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Niksmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bermuda 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
Carol  I believe its part of this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,560131.0.html

Irene
Buckinghamshire-Babbs<br />Somerset-Smith<br />Woolwich-Elliott<br />London-Elliott, Hare,Baker

Restorers please do NOT use any restores done by me without my permission

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
I had posted two separate photographs of a young policeman and a mature one, which at first I thought were two separate people, but I am now beginning to think that they are both of the same man, ie Andrew Reid, born 1868, Strachan, Kincardineshire and by 1897 was a policeman in London.
Of course the photographs show different numbers on their collars, and the younger mans helmet.
Are you able to shed any light on this?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
Ah.....Thanks for waking me up Irene..... ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Being that the medals would appear to be the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal then this image would date after 1919 as this was when the last two medals were given out. As for why he is wearing them I would guess that he may have been on a public display of some type such as a dedication, remembrance, VIP visiting the area, etc etc. (more so as he would also appear to have been on duty and nipped in to the local photographer's to have the picture taken....but that is purely me thinking outside of the box on this last bit).

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 11 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, bit of a cheek if you were on duty that day.