Author Topic: Margaret GARGAN  (Read 1485 times)

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Margaret GARGAN
« on: Wednesday 12 October 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
my ancestor Margaret Gargan was born approx 1869
She later married William Ward in St Francis Church,Gorton Manchester in 1890,her father is named James.
On the census following the marraige her birthplace is Manchester.
I have looked but cant find her on previous census. I also cant find a birth record.
 Any ideas? would be welcome
Regards Mike
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
SHAWCROSS Newton Heath,Gorton, Openshaw
WIGLEY Wirksworh, Lancashire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret GARGAN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mike...quite a few Gargan family here in Garston,Liverpool.....their roots are Wicklow in Ireland...could Margaret have been born in Ireland ?....problem is that when census records were being recorded - a broad Irish accent was hard to understand....it may have been easier to say Manchester rather than Wicklow...it may be worth checking out Ireland for a birth...can`t you find her on the 1881 census on IGI aged around 11/12 ?.....allan
MIGHT have her
Margaret Katherine Gargan b 23rd May 1864 in Yorkshire
father James
mother Annie
died 4th dec 1940......do you have a date of death for Margaret ? .....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline mike4301

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 11 05:12 BST (UK) »
HI Alan,
  thanks for that,but luckily for me someone turned her up on ancestry. I didnt even think to check the most basic phonetic Gagan!!! :-[ Her mother and father James and Winifred came from Ireland.James from Peters Wake??? and Winifred from Galway.
thanks again
Mike
HALL,Lancs,Staffordshire
SHAWCROSS Newton Heath,Gorton, Openshaw
WIGLEY Wirksworh, Lancashire
BRADSHAW Lancashire

Offline Dorothea McKenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

My great grandfather was Edward Gargan from County Westmeath or Meath, married Katherine Annie Fleeson in Westmeath then moved to Salford Manchester England where they had a few more children,  before Edward move to the USA but Katherine died around 1896 in Salford. I have a lot of relatives living in the Liverpool area. Is there a connection to your family. They are listed on the 1871 census but not the 81, as they had moved back to Ireland again, back and forth I guess.