Author Topic: Lena Nugent died IOM 1994  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lena Nugent died IOM 1994
« on: Wednesday 12 October 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any refererence to my ancestor Helena (Lena) Nugent 1886-1994 who died on the Isle of Man. She was born in Ireland and following a short visit to England she spent much of her life there. I am trying to find (a) details of her burial - grave or cremation and (b) I want to substantiate a family story that her centenary was recognised by the Governor of the Island in some way. Can anyone please advise me regarding burial records and also the local newspapers which may have carried ariticles on her 100th year and her subsequent obituary. As I live on the mainland, a visit to the Island in the near future would be unlikely.
Thanks in anticipation

Darryl Nugent

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lena Nugent died IOM 1994
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 15:09 BST (UK) »
I agree there are no direct services from Orkney (? is this your mainland?)so visiting might be awkward - however there is an index to burials on www.iomfhs.im but she doesn't appear to be in it - but that is for burials and does not include cremations - the Governor would indeed have probably paid a visit as this used to be be the norm - however you will need a personal researcher at Manx Museum to find any newspaper article as those papers have not been digitised.
A death cert from Genl registery (www.gov.im) might help but costs
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Darryl Nugent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lena Nugent died IOM 1994
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I'll start with the death certificate. This will give me the date of death and narrow down the obituary date. The centenary visit willhave to wait a while.

Darryl Nugent