Author Topic: online newspapers 1819?  (Read 7306 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: online newspapers 1819?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Well this morning i received the Inquest into his death, And It didnt tell me any new info, but it was very interesting reading, especially as all 12 Jurors and the coroner had signed it!..
And the language they used was really interesting!

So thank you to everyone who helped!...

Translation of Inquest:

An Inquisition Indented, Taken from our Sovereign Lord the King, At the London Hospital in the parish of Saint Mary Whitechapel In the county of Middlesex, The third day of May in the fifty ninth year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Third,
 By the grace of god of the united Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland king, Defender of the faith and so forth before John Wright Unwin esquire, one of the coroners of our said lord the king for the said country ,
On view of the body of Charles Thurston Stanley, then and there lying dead, upon the oath of the several persons whose names are hereunder written and seals affixed, good and lawful men of the said country, duly chosen and who being then and there duly sworn and charged to inquire for our said lord the king, when how and by what means the said Charles Thurston Stanley came to his death, do, upon their oath, say that on the twenty eighth day of April last, the said Charles Thurston Stanley not being of sound mind memory, and understanding, but lunatic and distracted At the Parish of Christ Church In the county of the aforesaid, With a certain Knife made of Iron and Steel which the said Charles Thurston Stanley then and there had and held it in his right hand in and upon the abdomen of him, the said Charles Thurston Stanley did then and there strike and stab and puncture thereby then and there giving himself with the knife aforesaid mortal wound, the breadth of one inch, and the depth of two inches of which the said mortal wound he the said Charles Thurston Stanley of the parish of Christchurch aforesaid and also the parish of saint Mary whitechapel aforesaid and the county aforesaid did languish and languishing did live for three days and then and there of the mortal wound aforesaid did die.
And the said Jurors aforesaid, upon the oath aforesaid, do say the said Charles Thurston Stanley being lunatic and distracted, in manner and by means aforesaid himself did kill and slay.
In Witness whereof, as well the said coroner as the said Francis Henby, The foreman of the said jurors and the rest of the said fellows, have to this inquisition set their hands and seals this day, this year, and place first above written
Signed by:
John W Unwin - Coroner
Francis Henbry
Isaac Ruff
Thos Beckett
John Lange
Wm Hamfon (sp?)
Henry Meyer
James Curtis
Thos Dumril
M Abbot
James Brooke
Jno Partridge
John Routledge

Thank you,

I just came across this. Charles was one of my 6x great granddad's.
I am descended from him via his daughter, Elizabeth Stanley who was baptised on the 29th of April 1785 in Whitechapel. She married Peter Morris, in Stepney on the 1st of September 1807.

I did see from a search result on Find My Past, that the transcription had the birth year of Charles as being 1749, at the time of his burial in 1819. But I suppose it was not that uncommon for somebody's age to have been three years out at burial.
I also couldn't find a reference in Charles's baptism (from the search results), to him having the middle surname of Thurston. But Elizabeth Morris (nee Stanley), and her husband Peter, did have a son in 1810 who they baptised Thomas Thurston Morris, in Stepney.

According to Ancestry.co.uk, Charles's father was "Josiah/Josias" who was born 1729 in Shoreditch. His mother was a Mary, but I'm not sure of her surname.

On my tree on there Ancestry gives hints "Potential Mother and Father" for Josias:
Charles Thurston Stanley - born 1704 in Deptford, Greenwich, Kent. Buried 1746 at St. Leonard, Shoreditch.
Elizabeth Crosley - born 1700 (it just states the place of birth as "London").

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: online newspapers 1819?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a marriage at St Leonard Shoreditch 23rd August 1770 of a Charles Stanley bachelor of the parish and Elizabeth Fleetwood spinster of the parish by banns. Elizabeth made her mark. Witnesses were John Fleetwood who also made his mark and William Burgess.
Two baptims at St Leonard Shoreditch for the couple
Charles 1771 and Joseph 1775.
The baptisms for Charles Thurston Stanley and Elizabeth begin at St Mary Whitechapel in 1779.
1779 Charles Thurston Stanley
1781 Thomas Thurston Stanley
then baptisms to Charles and Elizabeth Stanley
Sarah 1785
Samuel 1788
Joseph Thurston Stanley 1791

They may or may not be the same couple in both parishes.

There are earlier more interesting baptisms at St Leonard Shoreditch that do have a Stanley/Thurston connection.

13th August 1727
Charles Thurston parents Charles Thurston and Elizabeth Stanley, Holywell Street Hoxton.
Judging by the next two baptisms this entry is confused.

27th April 1726
Susanna Stanley parents Thurston and Elizabeth Stanley, Hoxton

17th August 1729 born 25th July
Josias Stanley parents Thurston and Elizabeth Stanley, Dunkirk Court, father's occupation weaver

There is a Charles Stanley baptism at St Leonard Shoreditch parents Josias and Mary Stanley 8th July 1752 born the same day, parents of Jane Shore Yard. It may or may not be the correct Charles given that Josias had an elder brother also called Charles.

The IGI/Family Search gives this obscure reference which isn't a great deal of help in finding the church.

Thurston Stanley    
Elisabeth Crosley    
24 October 1725 London

Nothing for Josias' marriage though.

Regards

Valda
Hello There,

Regarding the Thurston Stanley, Elizabeth Crosley marriage, I found that on Find My Past. It was a "Clandestine Marriage":
Piece Description:
"Fleet register. Burnford's Register. Nov 1722 - Jul 1736. Officiating Ministers: Floud & Wigmore 1727-1730 otherwise not named. Indexed in volume. Continues pieces no 56 (?) and 65. Includes a few baptisms."
The transcription states that Elizabeth was a widow:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=tna%2frg7%2fmar%2f00123046%2f1

However, I cannot see in the original image any reference to Elizabeth being named as a Widow. In that original register, Thurston Stanley has been put down as a Weaver. They were both of the parish of Shoreditch:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=tna%2frg7%2f067%2f0%2f0173&parentid=tna%2frg7%2fmar%2f00123046%2f1

Thank you.  :) ;)