Author Topic: Information on the Cornish and Porter Families in Victoria Australia  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Searcher5374

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on the Cornish and Porter Families in Victoria Australia
« on: Monday 17 October 11 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I have been searching off and on filling in the gaps. It was easier (a little) on the Porter side. I even received a written history of Mary Ann Porter (nee Stevens) b.1802. d.1890.

The Cornish side have been a little harder. Anyone looking would see many a Joseph, Henry, Harry, Harvey, Annie...etc. Very confusing. I kinda like that they come from good honest convict stock. lol

I have some oral history of some of them from the turn of the last century that I have heard from childhood. I find it strange I can know the doings of someone who was born back in the 1880's.

A particular Harry Cornish is one I find hard to pin down. I can recall a story my father told about him in WW1 when he was thrown into the brig for fighting. He thought he was justified belting the fellow and complained to his friend (my grandfather Richard Ernest Chadwick Porter b.1880 d.1956). According to family history, Harry regularly got promoted, then demoted for fighting.

Harry: (complaining about getting locked up)"They can't do it!"
Dick: "But Harry, they did."
Harry: "But they can't!"
Dick: "But they did."

I have looked and looked for his war record, but have come up with only a Harry Cornish that was too young, or one man that was from England but who enlisted in Melbourne.