Author Topic: Find My Past - New television series  (Read 50546 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Find My Past - New television series
« on: Saturday 08 October 11 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Sorry if this has already been posted but I see from an article in one of the family history magazines that findmypast is doing a new genealogy tv series that will air 20th Oct on the Yesterday channel (Sky537 & Virgin 203) -

According to the article it will "take three seemingly disconnected people and reveal the lives their ancestors played in historic events."  There are 10 episodes. Topics covered included Dunkirk and the Little ships, The Battle of Britiain, Titanic, Jack the Ripper, The Tay Bridge Disaster and The Bounty.

Could be interesting.  :)

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast programme
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Excellent - WHYTYA for ordinary people! Shall look out for that one.
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for bringing this to our notice.   Maybe others may already know of it, maybe it has been mentioned on Rootschat, but this was the first I knew of it.

Have done some 'digging' and the most I can find is:

1. Dunkirk - 20th October
2. Titanic - 27th October
3. Battle of Britain - 3rd. November
4. D Day - 10th November
5. Mutiny on the Bounty - 17th November

the other 5 episodes relate to Jack the Ripper, The Battle of the Somme, The Tay Bridge Disaster, A Victorian Royal Scandal and Emily Davison (suffragette who threw herself under the King's horse) but can't find out the dates each one is shown.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue_de_nimes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 11 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

There's more information about it on the findmypast.co.uk website - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/find-my-past-tv/about.html

Offline dennis dominator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 October 11 20:03 BST (UK) »
Great will watch that.
Wasn't there a program about 8 years ago that traced ordinary people and linked them with famous people.

I saw one which linked someone with dick Turpin. It was on Discovery channel. I wrote to the channel and they said they had never made such a program so i got in touch with the genealogist who was on the program because i remember his name when the credits were shown at the end of the program then a few months later i saw his name in a genealogist magazine  can't remember if his first name or second name was Adolf but it was one of them and he e-mailed me back and said yes there was such a program. Search me why discovery channel said they did not make it. The name of it escapes me at the moment.
Clark's of hull and Birkenhead and Davies of hull and Northampton

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 October 11 20:41 BST (UK) »
Search me why discovery channel said they did not make it.

Probably because they didn't and that a tv company made it as that is how Tv works.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
Dennis, I think you may have been referring to Anthony Adolph, if so the program was called "Gene Detectives". 2007

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0968725/

Program makers are at the bottom
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline dennis dominator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
Alanb. When i e-mailed Mr Adolph he confirmed the discovery channel had made the program and he could not understand why they said they had not.
He then joked maybe they thought i was rubbish.
Hi jc2Gred. The program name does not ring a bell. But thanks it was Anthony Adolph.
I only saw one eposode caught it by accident it was about a family who Mr Adolph traced back to see if they were related to Dick Turpin.
Clark's of hull and Birkenhead and Davies of hull and Northampton

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
New TV Show from FindMyPast starts Thursday night
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Couldn't find a thread for this so thought I'd remind everyone..It's on Yesterday channel - way down the listings with all the history type channels... and a great channel it is too ;D ;D ;D

It sounds like it might be good.  And I like presenter Chris Hollins...

"We're very excited to introduce Find My Past the TV show, a new 10-part series from findmypast.co.uk. The show starts on 20 October 2011 at 9pm on the Yesterday channel: Freeview channel 12, Sky 537, Virgin Media 203. Chris Hollins of BBC Breakfast, Watchdog and winner of Strictly Come Dancing 2009 presents the show.

Each week we help three members of the public to discover how they are related to someone from a significant historical event, by searching the records on findmypast.co.uk. We follow the participants' journeys, before uniting them to reveal how they are linked.

Every Friday morning, read all about the previous night's episode on findmypast.co.uk, including which records were used to chart the participants' family histories."

Milly ;D

Moderator Comment: topics merged
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk