Author Topic: Groton House, Suffolk  (Read 7745 times)

Offline gennysh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Groton House, Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 11 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your input - it is much appreciated.  It has been most helpful and is enabling me to establish more about the connections between Groton House, James Aspinall and my late great great grandmother (May Montgomery Aspinall who married Frederick Charles Wallis).  I will persevere!! Regards. gennysh

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 October 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Is this the May Aspinall, 2nd daughter of H Aspinall QC and sister of Butler Aspinall KC, who married Frederick Charles Wallis in 1880?

regards

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 October 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
wonder if this could be your may aspinall.   from newspaper dated wednesday may 11th 1887, title heading, the queens drawing room   aspinall miss may by mrs james aspinall

harrywrag

Offline gennysh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes May Aspinall married Frederick Wallis.  They were my great grandparents.  Their second daughter, Violet May, was my maternal grandmother.  By the way which was the newspaper in May 1897 with the title queens drawing room - was it the Times? Regards.
Gennysh

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 14:43 GMT (UK) »
hi gennysh,
                     it was from the morning post (london)dated wednesday may 11th 1887

harrywrag

Offline Woody1912

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 April 15 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to be so late to the chat, I've only just found this and it may not be of any help!

I lived at Groton House from 1977 to when it burnt down in 1981.  My late Father bought it from a local farmer Tommy Dawson who had owned it for many years but it had not been lived in for about 50/100 years previously as he originally bought it for the land.

After the fire three properties were built, on from the stable block, and two from parts of the original house left standing.  The "new" Groton House (the first one built) was brought, and is still lived in, by the local GP Dr Kennedy-Scott.

I know this is more modern history, but you may be able to trace back from Tommy Dawson.  There also was a Groton Place which burned down but that was on Groton Street, rather than Church Street.

I hope that this helps someone.

Richard

Offline b hayden

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 July 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi - just found this thread in a search for "Groton House"....as I am transcribing a notebook of my Dad's who I think attended a summer school here some time - possibly (probably) in the 60's...It says "Groton House, Boxford..."

I wondered if you knew whether or not they ran art courses here Richard, or have I got the wrong place?

Hope someone sees this!

Bridget

Offline Woody1912

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bridget,

Sorry, I've only just looked at this.  It is unlikely that your Father attending anything here in the 60's, as I said my late Father purchased it in 1977 and it had not been lived in for about 100 years prior to that.

Groton and Boxford are very close, but there was also Groton Hall and Manor, so it could have been either of those maybe?

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Richard