Author Topic: John Waugh & Euphemia Turnball (graveyard)  (Read 4194 times)

Offline mcstrings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Waugh & Euphemia Turnball (graveyard)
« on: Saturday 22 October 11 15:25 BST (UK) »
HI ,

I was wondering if any one recognises where this graveyard is ?( not much to go on)

The inscription is poor , , Can.t read any of the bottom.

John Waugh & Euphemia  Turnball , daughter Mary and Son Robert Waugh .

The lady is Euphemia Turnball died 9 Feb 1889 in Hobkirk, Roxburghshire, Scotland

Thanks .

Any info on names mention would be appreciated too.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Waugh & Euphemia Turnball (graveyard)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 12 21:17 GMT (UK) »
This is my family - John's brother William was my g-grandfather.
The graveyard is in Chesters near Hawick.
Robert Waugh 1774-1859 was a blacksmith in Chesters (the smiddy is still there though now a private house), m Elizabeth Hindmarsh. Issue
1. Elizabeth 1815-; m Adam Sinton
2. Catherine 1817-; m Thomas Robson, blacksmith in Cavers
3. Helen 1819-; m Robert Murray, farm steward at Dimpleknowe
4. William 1822-81, veterinary surgeon Hawick and Stirling; m (1) Catherine Rutherford, no issue; (2) Margaret Jaffray, issue Robert Jaffray Waugh 1876-1951 Procurator Fiscal
5. John 1824-1904, blacksmith; m Euphemia Turnbull; children Mary 1860-77, Robert 1861-92, as yet I don't think Robert married
6. Robert 1830-59, blacksmith with his father, again I don't think there was a marriage or children

Please message me for more....and also if you have more info. I still haven't found out how the Waughs got to Chesters nor where they came from; and I haven't traced Elizabeth Hindmarsh's origins either.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline LornaHen

• RootsChat Extra
  • A step backwards is great progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I can add that Adam SINTON husband of daughter Elizabeth WAUGH was the son of William SINTON and Isabella SCOTT and was born Jedburgh March 1819.
He is assumed to be the Adam SINTON, grocer of Hawick, sentenced to 5 yrs penal servitude for a robbery of the Hawick Museum.  He and a John FORSYTH, millworker appear to have robbed the Museum of a number of coins.
The above being  from the Jedburgh Spring Circuit - The Hawick Museum Robbery, Page 7 of the Scotsman, Wed 3rd May 1865.
The 1851 census shows Adam and Elizabeth at Jedburgh still:
SINTON: Adam, head, mar, 32, labourer, b Jedburgh; wife Elisabeth, 36, b Southdean;  Children: William, 10, scholar, b Southdean; Robert, 8, scholar, b Jedburgh; Elisabeth, 10mths, b Jedburgh
With 1861 showing them at Hawick:
SINTON: Adam 42 grocer labourer b Jedburgh; wife Eliz 44 b Southdean; CHildren: William 20 engine smith b Southdean; Robert 18 cabinetmaker b Jedburgh; Elizabeth 10 scholar b Jedburgh
Other than the sentencing my info on Adam finishes there, but Elizabeth nee WAUGH died at Hawick, described as a widow 21 Feb 1874, informant son-in-law John FOWLER (He had married the daughter Elizabeth).
Anyone interested in the SINTONs may find further info of interest in the SINTON Surname DNA project at
http://dnasurnames.info/lineages/spSINTONLineages.htm
or in my own web pages at
http://familytree.lornahen.com/spSINTON.htm
Regards
Lorna
SCT: Henderson, Wight, Sinton, Fairbairn, Bain, Manson, Davidson, Runciman, Familton
ENG: Rowe, King, Barter, Andrews, Turnbull, Baty, Graham
NZ: Henderson, Andrews, Rowe, Turnbull
http://LornaHen.com
http://dnasurnames.info/

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 12 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Attached is a photo of Elizabeth Waugh, Mrs Sinton, from an album I have inherited. Sadly not all the images are labelled. I've included a copy of the back, which might help with dating.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline mcstrings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for information and photographs
 :) :) :) :)

Ang.x