Author Topic: Daniel Bowers  (Read 1219 times)

Offline mazb57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Bowers
« on: Monday 24 October 11 02:13 BST (UK) »
Daniel Bowers came to Glasgow, Scotland around the 1850's along with his wife, children, parents and siblings, I've been able to find lots of info/certificates etc. for the whole family apart from Daniel's death certificate, and have been trying to find out what happened to him, the last date I have for him living in Glasgow is October 1887 at his daughters marriage in Glasgow. I have now come across a death record on Ancestry for a Daniel Bowers in December 1887 in Belfast, and I wonder if this could be him, he was born in County Down, but I know the family moved to Belfast as two of his siblings were born there and he was also married there to Ellen Ivory. If there is anyone who could do a lookup for me at the records office in Belfast I would be extremely grateful. Daniel's parents were Samuel Bowers and Agnes McGannety or McGinnidy.
Meiklejohn, Ross, Weir, Mair, Blair, Seay, Bowers, Casey
Scotland, Ireland, England, USA, Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Bowers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 11 08:36 BST (UK) »
Irish death certificates contain little detail (especially compared to Scottish ones) and aren't available to view without purchasing. See here for details included on the certificates and how to order them-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433043.0.html

That Daniel Bowers was aged 53 (so born c1834). These are the details you need for ordering the certificate: Daniel Bowers, Oct./Dec.1887 Belfast registration district, volume 1 page 154.

PRONI have Will Extracts online but none for Daniel Bowers. Also checked for death notice in Belfast Newsletter but there was none Sept.1887/Jan.1888.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mazb57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Bowers
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying, I had assumed that the civil registration records would have included parents or a wife/husbands name! The year of birth certainly fits, I have Daniel's year of birth as 1835 going by the information on the Scottish census records, some did vary between 1 or 2 years, so the 1834 on the death cert is another clue, I think my next move is to start checking burial records, as it doesn't look like the death certificate is going to provide any further info.

Thanks again
Meiklejohn, Ross, Weir, Mair, Blair, Seay, Bowers, Casey
Scotland, Ireland, England, USA, Australia