Author Topic: Wilkie  (Read 6152 times)

Offline kingfisher1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilkie
« on: Wednesday 26 October 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Interested in details regarding Wilkies departing for America prior to 1750 and ultimately residing in the Carolinas.
Wilkie, Wilson, Faulkner, Hardison

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
Wilkie isn't all that common a surname in Banffshire. Do you have some reason to think they were from Banffshire?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kingfisher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 11 01:07 GMT (UK) »
My gggg grandfather is Charles Wilkie of Chatham County NC, USA; his father George of NC and his father William who married Elizabeth Jobes in 1758 in New Jersey USA.  William was either born in NJ to Alexander Wilkie from Scotland or Alexander Wilkie came from Scotland with young William and family.  There is an Alexander Wilkie (see below) baptized in 1706 at Fordyce, Banff, born to James Wilkie and Isabel Peterkin.  I've also seen records indicating a grave marker that was transcribed in 1886 in the old churchyard Fordyce showing a stone erected for James Wilkie, died 3-17-1749, and Isobel Peterkin, died 3/23/1718, by James Wilkie, in Dytach, Capt Alexander Wilkie and William Wilkie in Barnyards, their sons".  Below and related info found indicates james and alexander descendants found later in Nova Scotia, but no details of Alexander.  Wondering if perhaps this Alexander moved on to america, etc?

James1 Wilkie; born circa 1680 at Banff, SCT; married Isabel Peterkin, daughter of John Peterkin and (--?--) Unknown.

Children of James1 Wilkie and Isabel Peterkin all born at Fordyce, Banff, SCT, were as follows:
+    2      i.   James2 Wilkie, baptized 14 Mar 1705; married Elizabeth Lorimer.
     3     ii.   Alexander Wilkie; baptized 2 Sep 1706.
+    4    iii.   William Wilkie, baptized 11 Apr 1708; married Isobel Gairden; married Cecilia Brown.
     5     iv.   Elspeth Wilkie; baptized 15 Mar 1710; married Alexander Ellis 17 Oct 1732.
     6      v.   Janet Wilkie; baptized 15 Mar 1710.
     7     vi.   George Wilkie; baptized 11 Feb 1712.
     8    vii.   Isabel Wilkie; baptized 30 Dec 1713.
     9   viii.   Janet Wilkie; baptized 4 Jul 1717; married James Morison Aug 1744.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 11 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I have these Wilkie's on my Family Tree, because I am descended from Alexander Peterkin who would have been Elspet's Uncle. I've got quite a bit on the Peterkin's, but pretty much the same as you stated on the Wilkie's. I can only confirm that it's not a common name in Banffshire at all. I would ask the same question though, any reason why you might think Banffshire.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline kingfisher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 11 00:11 GMT (UK) »
A headstone transcribed in 1886 for James Wilkie, D 17 March 1749, and Isabel Peterkin, D 23 March 1718, in Fordyce, Banff churchyard says it was placed by sons Capt Alexander Wilkie and William Wilkie sometimes of Barnyards and James Wilkie in Dytech, sons of James and Isabel. 
Trying to sort out what happened with this Alexander, whether he was aka Andrew, whether he is also the Alexander christened in Fordyce, Banff on 2 September 1706, whether he left Scotland for New Jersey or other American locations and whether he is or isnt father of William Wilkie possibly born in Scotland or NJ abt 1734 then marrying Elizabeth Jobes in NJ.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 November 11 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I think the first port of call here might be to try and find out which regiment Captain Alexander was attached to, and achieving that, cross-reference where the regiment was posted, hence possible birth places for William, if it is indeed the same Alexander.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline wilkiejk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 20:15 BST (UK) »
I believe capt alexander wilkie was a merchant ship captain vs military.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 June 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.