Author Topic: Abergwynfi Suicide  (Read 6245 times)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
Re: Abergwynfi Suicide
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 October 11 12:53 BST (UK) »
Been down Bridgend records office today, but was short on time so only managed to check 1918 but with no result. I may be getting down there again for a Saturday and will see if I can pick anything else up for you if no-one replies by then
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 October 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
Been down Bridgend records office today, but was short on time so only managed to check 1918 but with no result. I may be getting down there again for a Saturday and will see if I can pick anything else up for you if no-one replies by then

Thankyou halfasheep, look forward to seeing if you find anything.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 October 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, but you could try ordering death certificates from Neath district for David Thomas in the right age range, with Abergwynfi address.

This thread helps you to speed up freebmd searches:-

Speed up FreeBMD searches:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,460492.0.html

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 October 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
There are some Newspaper Links on GENUKI, - might be worth a look?

I can't see anything relating to your David Thomas, - but these extracts are from 1894, 1926 and 1936 I think...so might be worth checking other years too.

See:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0g4x/

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Treetective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 October 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
I am researching for you on Tuesday next

Offline welsh_angel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 October 11 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Is this your David Thomas?
A tragedy of unemployment was revealed at the inquest conducted on Saturday by Mr. B. Edward HOWE on David THOMAS, 62, builder's labourer, of Scotch-street, Abergwynfi, who was found hanging by some copper wire in an outhouse at the back of the house on Thursday morning. The widow, Mary Ann THOMAS, said her husband had not worked since Wednesday week, and could get a turn only now and again.He went out on Wednesday to see the pit manager, but failed to get work, and on his return told her, " It is very hard; I am out all day and can't get work " The question of work was on his mind, and he was happy when working. He appeared to be a little depressed the day before. She had noticed that for the past few weeks he had been a little quiet and strange. A verdict of "Suicide whilst of unsound mind" was returned.
This was taken from:
Western Mail Monday May 19th 1924.

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 October 11 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes thats the man! Thankyou welsh angel! Thankyou :D solved a big mystery for me there!
regards, Joshua

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 October 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Is this your David Thomas?
A tragedy of unemployment was revealed at the inquest conducted on Saturday by Mr. B. Edward HOWE on David THOMAS, 62, builder's labourer, of Scotch-street, Abergwynfi, who was found hanging by some copper wire in an outhouse at the back of the house on Thursday morning. The widow, Mary Ann THOMAS, said her husband had not worked since Wednesday week, and could get a turn only now and again.He went out on Wednesday to see the pit manager, but failed to get work, and on his return told her, " It is very hard; I am out all day and can't get work " The question of work was on his mind, and he was happy when working. He appeared to be a little depressed the day before. She had noticed that for the past few weeks he had been a little quiet and strange. A verdict of "Suicide whilst of unsound mind" was returned.
This was taken from:
Western Mail Monday May 19th 1924.

Oh dear...what a terribly sad story:-(((

So sorry to read this  :o :o :o (But glad that you have resolved this issue Joshua). Possibly you could look for a burial now?

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 October 11 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Are you living locally Joshua? I'm hoping to get down the reference library on Saturday and would be happy to print a copy of the report off and drop it down to you.

There's no record of his burial in Maesteg, but I'll have a nose through the other local burial records when I'm down there too
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg