Author Topic: Completed! Cockerell in Brockdish 1709  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Teri

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Completed! Cockerell in Brockdish 1709
« on: Wednesday 26 October 11 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Please can anyone help? I am looking for a stray marriage from Suffolk. Robert Cockerell (any spelling) married Margaret.  They lived in Wilby, Suffolk, but I can't find a marriage.  There is one on the IGI for a Robert Cockerell and Margaret Fuller, supposedly 1709 in Brockdish, Norfolk.  As this is quite close to Wilby and the date fits, I think they might be the ones, but I would like a full transcript from the parish register, in case there is additional information (or confirmation of absence from register in case they aren't there at all!).  If it isn't too much trouble, I would also like to know whether this couple had any children baptized in this parish.

Many thanks,

Teri

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cockerell in Brockdish 1709
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Teri,

The marriage was in 1706, not 1709.

This definitely looks like the one you're looking for, as it helpfully says Robert Cockerell was from Wilby, Suffolk, and Margaret Fuller from - I think it says Eye, Suffolk, married 23 June 1706 at Brockdish.

About half way down the second page, you can increase the size by clicking the zoom button.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12444-15124-64?cc=1416598&wc=656246

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Teri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cockerell in Brockdish 1709
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 October 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that.  What a lovely surprise, I was expecting to have to wait a while for a reply! I had no idea I could view the original on family search.  I am still using the old site, I can't seem to get the new site to work for me.  Another record links them to Eye, too.  Do you know how I can find out whether I can view the parish records for that parish online?

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed! Cockerell in Brockdish 1709
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid the Suffolk parish registers aren't viewable the same way as the Norfolk ones are.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the site.

Here's a link to the "first page" for the Norfolk online records - http://www.rootschat.com/links/0fgg/

Click on whichever parish you want, and it will give you dates, type of record etc., click again, then when the online images come up, you can increase the size with the zoom button, and click through the pages with the arrow at the top right.

I did have a quick look for baptisms for any children of Robert and Margaret, but couldn't see anything - the writing is a bit hard to read though, isn't it?

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline Teri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 October 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do find the early records hard to read.  I was in Suffolk earlier in the week but can't get back for a while.  They had some great transcripts on microfilm done 30 odd years ago which were easier.  I went through a copule of parishes that way, then went back to the original register fiche to scheck the details for the people I found.  Unfortunately, I didn't find out about the transcripts until near the end of my visit, but I will definitely start there next time.

Thanks again for all your help.  I looked up the section you said and couldn't find anything, perhaps they will get more online at family search soon?  Fingers crossed.

teri

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 October 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
Suffolk PRs are coming on line before too long - you can keep up with progress with the following website or the SROs own website.

Here is a link I put on the Suffolk resources page  ;)

Note from SRO:

We are starting to put up catalogues/lists of records held by the three branches of the Suffolk Record Office on a new Suffolk Heritage Direct website http://www.suffolkheritagedirect.org.uk/  (It is best to search on the Suffolk County Council Record Office Partner page – accessible from the list of partners down the left of the home page.  Then click on the advanced search option under the search box to bring up the advanced search window.  Any reference that appears in blue can be clicked on to move up and down through the catalogue.)

Pat ...
www.slhc.org.uk

Researching Bridges in Brockdish in the 1500s
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Teri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 October 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
thank you very much for that.  i've bookmarked it and will keep an eye out for updates.