Author Topic: Re: Thomas Harris born 1816  (Read 5201 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Harris born 1816
« on: Thursday 27 October 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
I have Thomas Harris Born 1816 in Tunbridge Wells. I believe that he is the brother of my great great grandmother Eliza Harris born 1813, also in Tunbridge. I know that Eliza moved to Coventry and married Edward Leigh Pearson, a Watchmaker, in 1834. I have found a Thomas Harris living in Coventry, on the 1851 Census and born in Tunbridge, I have therefore assumed that he was persuaded to move from Tunbridge, by Eliza. One of his sons on the 1851 Census is involved with Watchmaking, which also suggests they are connected.

My problem is, that I can find no trace of Thomas on the 1841 Census, or any other than the 1851. As he is my GG Granduncle, I am anxious to trace his and his children's whereabouts. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi billbir

Possibility?

1841 HO107 1153 F 28 Pg 11 - Civil Parish Holy Trinity - Address Gas Street

Thomas Harris 25
Maria 30
Philip 4
Phoebe 8mths
All born in County - although I have to mention although you know that your Thomas was from Kent I had an ancestor who in 1841 was shown as being born in said County when in fact I knew that he wasn't :) So it still might be worth investigating further.

Regards

Z :)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
billbir
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 October 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Z
Thanks for the information from the 1841 census however I do not think that it is the same Thomas Harris. On the 1851 census he was married to an A Harris not M for Maria. In 1951 he had one son initial S and one daughter initial P. I believe that the son S was 14 in 1851 so he should've appeared on the 1841 census as well. Thanks for your help in this matter.

Bill

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage between an Ann Maria Haymes in Holy Trinity 5 March 1836
and Thomas Harris

Then in 13 October 1836 there is a baby baptised

son of Thomas and Maria Harris at Holy Trinity Coventry

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 October 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
The baby was a Philip Harris and the information is on the IGI

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 October 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi billbir

On the 1851 census he was married to an A Harris not M for Maria.

Having carefully looked at the 1851 census I am not convinced that it is an A so decided to dig around a little more and found this ............... see what you think ................

1861 RG9 2206 59 11 - Civil Parish Coventry Holy Trinity - Address 2 Abbotts Lane

Phoebe Haymes Head widow 78 Coventry - Winder
Ann Maria Harris daugh widow 52 Coventry - Filler
Eliza Haymes daugh unmar 48 Coventry - Winder
Phoebe Harris grand daugh unmar 20 Coventry  - Winder

IGI Marriage - 5th March 1836 Holy Trinity Coventry Warwick - Ann Maria Haymes and Thomas Harris

Perhaps someone could check this marriage for you to see whether it mentions the father of Thomas and therefore enable you to cross reference these details that you have for Eliza.

Regards

Z :)

To add - Not convinced of the initial S either for his son - as if it wasn't tricky enough to read already ;D

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 October 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Z and Lemontree,

Thanks very much for your responses and I do think that we are getting somewhere. As I've mentioned before, the 1851 Census has Thomas born in Tunbridge, so as you say Z, to be sure that I have the right Thomas, I need to know the marriage details which hopefully would say that he was born out of the parish.

As by 1861Ann Maria is by now a widow, it would be useful to find the death of Thomas. Similarly with Philip, I can find no trace of him post 1851 and I cannot find a death either.

Thanks for your involvement, it is very much appreciated.

Bill

Offline WallaceWalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 02:37 BST (UK) »
  Hello Billbir ,
                     i know this is unrelated to your Thomas HARRIS query but in your research did you come across a James HARRIS born circa 1849 Tunbridge Wells Kent , however i cannot find a birth for him or on any census as living in Tunbridge Wells but have him on later census living in Pancras.
   I know i am clutching at straws !!
     kind regards
        Brian johnson
           West Australia

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,
  Hello Billbir ,
                     i know this is unrelated to your Thomas HARRIS query but in your research did you come across a James HARRIS born circa 1849 Tunbridge Wells Kent , however i cannot find a birth for him or on any census as living in Tunbridge Wells but have him on later census living in Pancras.
   I know i am clutching at straws !!
     kind regards
        Brian johnson
           West Australia

Hi Brian,

No Brian, I have not come across James Harris, in my research, until you pointed him out. However, I have had a little search. In 1851 (if I have the right James), his father George was born in Tunbridge, Kent and was described as a Carman, an occupation which James was described as having in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. In the 1881 census James was born in Tunbridge Wells, but I think that must be a mistake, as in the 1851 Census, he was born in Camden Town, London and in 1891, he is shown as born St. Pancras. As in 1851, James was living at 17 Haverstock St.,, St. Pancras, Camden, I think that the london address, is where he was born, not Tunbridge Wells. Possible births for James are:-
Mar 1849 St. Pancras 1 288
June 1849 St Pancras 1 277
June 1850 St Pancras 1 300
Finally, James father George married Harriett Upfold in Dec 1847 ref St Pancras 1 326

Hope this helps

Bill Birchall