Author Topic: Thomas Willis -died at sea?  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Supergran!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Willis -died at sea?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 November 11 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all- Ive learned my lesson there. I got it via ANC.co.
Bad move
  I haven't got any further as yet but it occured to me that I haven't got a birth for him either although he comes up on several census' with the right parents but I'm wondering if he was baptized   with another name but was known as Thomas  (as they did!)  I've tried William (His Fathers name)  Thomas but no luckBack to the drawing board  ???
Brenda
Willis-Essex   Barson-Coventry   Parker-Surrey
Carter- Wales

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 November 11 18:26 GMT (UK) »
HI BRENDA
DON,T FRET WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES , I,VE JUST LOOKED AT THE MOULSHAM BIRTH RECORDS FROM JUNE 1837 WHEN THEY START TO 1868 BUT NO LUCK SO LOOKS LIKE HE WAS BORN EARLIER AT LEAST IT HELPS TO SHORTEN THE BIRTH YEARS YOU HAVE .
WHAT I DID FIND WHILST LOOKING WAS THE FOLLOWING BIRTHS FOR AN  ELIZA REBECCA WILLIS BPT 3 FEB 1847  MOTHERS NAME MARY WILLIS , A SINGLE WOMAN ADDRESS MOULSHAM STREET AND WITH THAT CELIA WILLIS BPT 3 FEB 1847 MOTHER  MARY WILLIS , SINGLE WOMAN ADDRESS MOULSHAM STREET , NOW LOOKING AT THE 1841 CEN FOR THOMAS HE HAS A SISTER MARY ? I WONDER IF THE ABOVE IS THE SAME ONE AND POSSIBLY HAD TWINS . ANY HOW LET US KNOW HOW THINGS PROGRESS .
BEST WISHES
TREVOR

PS
RONNIE DEARHEART HOW IS YOUR JOLLY OLD SELF, STILL PROPPING UP THE COUNTER IN COLCHESTER LIBRARY ON A MONDAY ?  ;D ;D ;D.
TREVOR
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 November 11 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A death registration in the General Registry Office domestic indexes in the C19th really required a body. If he died off shore because he drowned it would need his body to have come ashore and to be identified. If it came ashore further down the coast or later it may not have been identified in which case the death would be registered as unknown.

If he died aboard the coal barge then the death should have been registered where-ever the coal barge next put into port. Because of the expense of trying to keep a body without modern equipment, you would expect the body to be buried locally, unless the family had sufficient money to have it returned to be buried locally.

There is a possible burial in Whitby further up the coast from Scarborough (20 miles)

2nd January 1859
Thomas Willis aged 18

Is this the family on the 1841 census? If so the 1859 burial would be about the right age.

HO107 325/10 folio 17
Markhams Passage Moulsham Essex
Elizabeth Willis 45 Widow (crossed through)
Mary Willis 15
Joseph Willis 15
Mark Willis 13
Thomas Willis 10
all put as Lab, all born in county

1851 census HO107 1775 folio 429
Moulsham Essex
Elizabeth Willis 58 Head Widow Felstead Essex
Mary Willis 26 Daughter Chelmsford Essex
Cecelia Willis 6 Daughter Chelmsford Essex
plus 1 servant

If you think the Whitby burial is a possibility it might be worth contacting Whitby registration office to see if they hold the death certificate.

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2861&contactid=5659

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 November 11 21:30 GMT (UK) »
HI BRENDA AND VALDA
FIRSTLY THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT THAT INFO ON DEATHS IS USEFUL TO KNOW .
BRENDA
I HOPE YOU DON,T MIND BUT I,VE E MAILED BOTH SCARBOROUGH AND WHITBY LIBRARIES TO SEE IF THEY HAVE NEWSPAPERS FOR 1859  IN WHICH THE DEATH MAY HAVE BEEN RECORDED SO WILL HAVE TO SEE WHAT COMES OF THAT  .
BEST WISHES TO YOU BOTH
TREVOR
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 November 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

North Yorkshire list their historic newspaper collections

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4330

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 November 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
HI BRENDA
DON,T FRET WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES , I,VE JUST LOOKED AT THE MOULSHAM BIRTH RECORDS FROM JUNE 1837 WHEN THEY START TO 1868 BUT NO LUCK SO LOOKS LIKE HE WAS BORN EARLIER AT LEAST IT HELPS TO SHORTEN THE BIRTH YEARS YOU HAVE .
WHAT I DID FIND WHILST LOOKING WAS THE FOLLOWING BIRTHS FOR AN  ELIZA REBECCA WILLIS BPT 3 FEB 1847  MOTHERS NAME MARY WILLIS , A SINGLE WOMAN ADDRESS MOULSHAM STREET AND WITH THAT CELIA WILLIS BPT 3 FEB 1847 MOTHER  MARY WILLIS , SINGLE WOMAN ADDRESS MOULSHAM STREET , NOW LOOKING AT THE 1841 CEN FOR THOMAS HE HAS A SISTER MARY ? I WONDER IF THE ABOVE IS THE SAME ONE AND POSSIBLY HAD TWINS . ANY HOW LET US KNOW HOW THINGS PROGRESS .
BEST WISHES
TREVOR

PS
RONNIE DEARHEART HOW IS YOUR JOLLY OLD SELF, STILL PROPPING UP THE COUNTER IN COLCHESTER LIBRARY ON A MONDAY ?  ;D ;D ;D.
TREVOR
Hi there
Yes Trev I prop up the library whenever any one asks for info that Colchester Library Holds  and I am fine thanks as you are of course  ;D ;D
I was reading this thread and putting together Maldon , Barges, Mariners  and some of the names,etc and knowing that boats do travel quite long distances wonder if this was of a vague interest to any of you
Marriage recorded at All saints Church Portsea  July 12 1840 Thomas Willis of full age bachelor Foreman Gunwharf married Eliza Buckler
Parents were given as Thomas Willis (foreman Gunwharf) and Leonard Backler (master)
I am sure this is a red herring but thought I would toss it in for debate :)
Ronnie

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 November 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Me again
Will check the fiches for st mary the virgin Chelmsford tomorrow
and The Chelmsford Papers to see whats about ...fingers crossed I know there is a marriage for Jan -march for a thomas willis so could be something ther
Ronnie