Author Topic: Birth registration - Georgetown, Guyana  (Read 15785 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Birth registration - Georgetown, Guyana
« on: Tuesday 08 November 11 01:37 GMT (UK) »
This is completely unknown territory for me so can anyone please tell me if, how, where from etc. etc. a birth certificate for a someone born in Georgetown can be obtained?

Christine

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Birth registration - Georgetown, Guyana
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 03:42 GMT (UK) »
hi,,it would depend on the timeframe and the circumstances of the birth,,,if it was an army birth for example,,,the GRO in the UK might have a reference with which you could order a birth certificate,,,same with a birth of a British national in Guyana,,this may be registered under the GRO overseas birth index. So we need the details in order to fully answer your question. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 06:23 GMT (UK) »
The British when they departed from British Guiana in 1966 left the Vital Records in Guyana. Some newspaper announcements are available. See more information on familysearch.org or look at the web site of the British Guiana Genealogical Society. Always in genealogy an event occurs in a place with a name at the time of the event. If a person was born in Sunderland, County Durham 1920 and died in exactly the same house in 2011 that person would have died in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear.  Likewise Southern Rhodesia/Zambia, German South West Africa/Namibia, etc..

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the responses  :)

He's not in GRO - I checked that first but in all the years I've been researching I've never had need to look at a GRO overseas index - is it separate from the rest?

I've now been looking at various websites and have an email address for Guyana National Archives but have not yet come across one for their GRO which, it seems, is where these vital records are located.  No doubt I'll come across it somewhere.

Family search didn't have Guyana listed in the South American section - I looked there before I posted.

Thanks again - at least I now have a path (or two) to follow

Christine

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 04:50 GMT (UK) »
I have had the same problem in finding places from "New" family search. When on the home page of the site click into the blue bar on the right "Go to previous site". Then "Library" then "Library Catalog" then "Place Search" and type in Guyana and it will give you all records available from their collection.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Would you care to share the details of the person you are looking for,,,maybe we can help?  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both,

I did try the 'old' family search but got nothing.  The problem is that this is a recent birth in genealogical terms and probably too new to be on IGI.

I don't want to put details on the public board, gortonboy, as interested parties would probably prefer that I didn't.  I just needed to know how to go about this.  Will send a pm

Christine

Offline nixonman1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 December 12 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I sent a birth certificate search form and money order in the amount of $50 to Guyana a few years, but never heard back.  When I called they insisted that did not receive my letter, but the money order was cashed.  So, I would be weary of sending any money to have a search done. 

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 December 12 01:15 GMT (UK) »
A cautionary tale!

I passed on all the information I gleaned to the people concerned but don't think they've acted upon it yet.  I'll pass on your experience.

Thanks

Christine