Author Topic: Am I asking the impossible?  (Read 6645 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am I asking the impossible?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 November 11 01:22 GMT (UK) »
One of the possibles - "Harry" Abrahall Robinson was born 2 November 1885, Frankton, Shropshire. On the 1901 Census he was at Bradfield College, Bradfield, Berkshire and was known to have played Cricket for them 1902-1904. Died June Qtr. 1975, Shropshire.  Cricket Archive. In 1915 "Henry" Abrahall Robinson was in the Shropshire Light Infantry. In 1916 his citation for the DSO indicates he was an Infantry Officer, Royal Fusiliers, at that time and not a medical officer. London Gazette. In 1918 he is 33 years old.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 November 11 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Here is the reverse of the photograph.  If anything it's the 1917 that looks genuine to me with the additional information possibly anecdotal.

Christine

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 November 11 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Is that "Grandad" above the 1917 on the back of the photograph? I think we can eliminate Royal Fusiliers Temporary Major "Harry" Abrahall Robinson from the possibles. He was awarded a Bar to his DSO 1917/1918. London Gazette 18 March 1918. If the photograph in 1917 was his he should have been wearing his first DSO which was awarded in 1916.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 November 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought....

Dr (Phd) Colin Robinson...?
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 02 December 11 01:29 GMT (UK) »
I've not looked at Dr. Col. Robinson for a few days but have now spent a bit of time looking through the London Gazette working backwards from 1946 for possible promotions/retirements.

The trouble is that no-one so far properly fits the bill and far too many Robinsons exist to make any assumptions.  Plus, half of what they put in the Gazette is like a foreigh language to me!

I'll keep on looking from time to time but think that I'm going to have to try and approach this from a different angle.

Thanks for all your help

Christine

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 December 11 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine  :)
I have no expertise other than past searching history for my own army family, but maybe some of the following may help?

I went through The Medical Register for 1915 and looked for anyone with the surname of Robinson described as ‘army medical service’. There were quite a few, but as the date of their qualification is given some would be too old if the man in the photo of 1917 was 30-40.

There are some which are prob too old in terms of their year of qualification in their twenties?
Robinson, Robert Henry  1867 Irel; Robinson, Oliver Long 1870 MRCS Engl; Robinson, John 1858 Irel; Robinson, George Winsor C.B. 1876 MRCS London;

and two more of a nearer age for qualification as a doctor - Robinson, James Herbert 1899 MRCS Eng; and Robinson, Frederick England 1900 U Edin.

The one below had quite a lot of info
Robinson – Thomas Trevor Hull   1905  U Dubl. I then looked in the 1906 gazette which says RAMC; in 1917 it says Major, acting lieut col. Another internet trawl says Thomas Trevor Hull Robinson Dr (DSO RAMC) was born on 17 Nov 1880 in Rathmines,Dublin,Ireland. He died in May 1963 in Dublin,Ireland. He was buried in May 1963 in Dublin,Ireland. 

There was also ROBINSON Francis Aidan 1908 U Durh. I googled him and found Major Francis Aidan Robinson, R.A.M.C.(ret.), of Dringhouses, left £22,690 in 1950

:)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 December 11 23:48 GMT (UK) »
What a thorough job you've done, thank you.

I've made a note of them all so that if I find out anything else I can cross-check against these names.

Christine